Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

What things should a 2.5 year old know?

Posted by on May. 3, 2011 at 3:30 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hello Ladies, I'm just curious as to what my 2.5 year old should know academically speaking? Right now he knows colors (Red,Yellow,Green,Blue,Orange,Purple,Pink), can count to 10 in English and Spanish and can sing the alphabet song. We started this week teaching him to recognize letters and we are going to do a letter or 2 a week. How would you recommend us teach him the letters? I made a half poster board size sign with the capital A and lowercase a on it and drew and apple on there. I don't know of anyway other than that to teach him to recognize it. Thanks in advance for your help!! Brittney
by on May. 3, 2011 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
NearSeattleMom
by on May. 3, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I'm not sure specifically what a child that age should know . . . but I do know the single most important thing you can do is read to your child and engage your child in conversation a lot.  Sounds like you're doing a great job!

.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 3, 2011 at 5:29 PM

my son loves the leap frog dvd's. they've helped him a LOT.

But your son sounds right on track as far as what he knows already.

bhwrn1
by on May. 3, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Sounds good to me. Perhaps you can find things around the house that start with the letter and lable them for him?

sweetcandiecane
by on May. 3, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Quoting .Angelica.:

my son loves the leap frog dvd's. they've helped him a LOT.

But your son sounds right on track as far as what he knows already.

shortmama83
by on May. 3, 2011 at 9:48 PM
Sounds like your right on track...but then, I'm def not an expert. Heck, I can't get my 27 month old to take any interest in colors!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Imjustinsmommy
by on May. 4, 2011 at 9:30 AM

hi! my ds is 2.5 yrs & actually had a speech delay at 18 mos so he;s had speech therapy so I can help a bit with what they have taught him & expect from him. keep in mind  there is a range here & nto all kids are excatly in the same place. some do well in other areas  & not so great in others as we find we do as adults so it's all good.   my ds  knows his colors too , he knows MOST of the letter but not all he can't say the alphabet . we have those fridge magnets w/ letter on them  & he'll point to them  & say "k"  & so on lol. the best way to show them is start with only a few. make cards & write the letters on each of them then begin with maybe 3 at a time & put them out on a table or floor 3 cards  A B & C & then  point to each card & say this is  A this is B & so on & then you can even do hand over hand & say where is A??? have him show you i did this with colors id then ask for them  & say " i want yellow please" & he'd pick the yellow colored card out & hand it to me & Id praise him if he grabbed the wrong one id say nicely " oh good try but no thats not yellow that orange" & again ask for yellow.  they will learn soon enough  & as  they knwo more & more you put a new one in the mix & so on til they know  them all.

my ds can count to 10 & sometimes a few #'s more but he gets they mixed up 1-10 then 11. 14, 15. 18. 13, LOL truthfully those are not the things his teachers seemt o really focus on. they wnat him to know how to dress & undress himself ( not hard stuff like buttons just take off /on shirt pants , socks & stuff), they wnat him to know things like relation.. like what it means for something to go "on top" or next to" or behind. some kids  like mine are still  confused between inside, outside, up, down, front back & all that  so if you lo doesn't know take a doll or toy & put him on top of a table & say he;s on TOP of the table then put him under a chair & say oh look he is UNDER the chair  talk all day about what you're doing were goign IN the bath   were going UP the steps  & ask alot of questiosn too    what are you eating? are you eating your milk or drinking you milk? its those concepts that they seem to wnat to prepare themf or preschool & stuff. puzzels, legos, play doh, asking for what they wnat in more full senteces maybe 4 word sentences  " mommy i want juice" not just "juice!"

basically  talk  to your child allot abotu everything you do & see, make a drive a learning experience,  oh look at the cars driving , see that BIG blue truck ( yes also teach big vs little) look at those birds they FLY UP in the sky & point. they need to now learn abotu the world . 

it seems like allot but  you can make learning fun. try it out & see if your LO understands this 1st even.. make it a game i played " hide n seek" with him saying  go hide BEHIND the chair now go run & sit ON the chair  it seems silly but i was shocked  how much my son & others really didnt get it.

they should be able to also point to most body parts & answer questions yes/no questions & so on, what is your name stuff like that.

remeber all have different ranges & they learn FAST so no worries!! they;re spongesssss LOL

have fun  & your doing GREAT!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)