Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

How do you discipline your 2 year old?

Posted by on May. 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM
  • 31 Replies

With my first I thought I was the greatest mom EVER.....she was such a good little girl, still is but um no I learned it was alllll luck!

Now with my 2nd who is 2....he has completely thrown me for a loop these past few weeks. He loves to just pick on his 3 yr old sister....by hitting her pulling her hair....loves to throw things, which drives me NUTS. Yesterday he threw a ball at my mil but she wasn't paying attention and it clonked her right in the forehead.

I know at his age a lot of it is testing his boundaries but how do you discipline your 2 yr old? I know to be consistent and all that stuff but how do you actually do the disciplining? I've been doing A LOT of redirecting AND giving a warning and then a time out, I do not give false threats....but it still doesn't seem to be working.....

Thanks xoxo

by on May. 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleyakamommy
by on May. 15, 2011 at 1:36 PM

BUMP!

ballerina.2006
by on May. 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM
Warnings, spankings, time outs. Thats what I do. If he is being hurtful towards someone its a spanking. The only exception is if its toward his sister. Shes a push over and just cries (5yo) so we tell her to hit/push whatever back cuz they have to deal with their problems on their own sometimes. Normally he just gets taken away from the situation and redirected or a time out with a timer, cant get up until he hears the beep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flprincessmom
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM

ppl might think I am mean with this, but I believe that as soon as you are old enough to recognize your name when you are called then you know what you are doing. If you pull hair, yours gets pulled. If you bite, you get bit back. If you kick or punch, you get kicked or punched back. I am not saying do this full force, just enough to get their attention so they know it hurts. no one likes pain, so they will stop.....

momma2b2008
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2011 at 1:44 PM
Warnings and time outs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ciao_bella
by on May. 15, 2011 at 1:47 PM

ah i'm such a softee, as of right now I don't think I could hit or pull hair back......it breaks my heart.

ciao_bella
by on May. 15, 2011 at 1:47 PM

ty for the suggestions...keep them coming! xo

ambermario4ever
by on May. 15, 2011 at 1:50 PM

redirecting is good also if he throws something and you don't want him to lightly pop him on the hand and give a firm no you can also try time out but as he is 2 it should only be for 2 mins 

vamom08
My two year old acts out and tells me No over and over I put her in time out or pop her hand or take something she really likes away from her. I want her to respect me and others if she do it in the house she will take it out in public so I correct her. I don't play that I want her to be a respectful child and if I'm taking care of you and trying to survive you are not going to disrespect me or no other human being.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofqxb
I totally agree with this. My dd is 3 but its what we do and have done with her and her older brother. And will do with dd2 when she's older.

Quoting flprincessmom:

ppl might think I am mean with this, but I believe that as soon as you are old enough to recognize your name when you are called then you know what you are doing. If you pull hair, yours gets pulled. If you bite, you get bit back. If you kick or punch, you get kicked or punched back. I am not saying do this full force, just enough to get their attention so they know it hurts. no one likes pain, so they will stop.....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 15, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Pretty much what you are doing. Though my son is pretty easy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)