• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you afford child care?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:04 AM
  • 54 Replies

I am a FTM and have been taking care of our 20 months old by ourselves. I work part time and stay at home for the most part. Daddy's turn when mommy is at work. We don't even have a sitter. I think we need a break sooner than later. I am also thinking about work more these days so I looked into day care pre-school options but they are SO expensive. (2 half morning will cost us $800+)  How do you afford it? Do you get tax deduction? My DD is born in Sep. so I will have to wait another year for the pre-school option?  Experienced mom, I need your help!

Thanks!

Anne

by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmama1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:15 AM
I stay home with them. We figured in our town, if I got a job, I would probably only make enough to covor the cost of daycare so it wouldn.lt make sense for us. I'm sorry I have no advice though. Good luck. =)
BusyB4thm
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:18 AM

yes daycare/preschool is very expensive// i work 3 jobs to pay for everything since i am a single mom. i would seriously sit down and look to see if its even worth it.

stormystar15
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:19 AM
Have you looked at other daycare preschools cause for 2 half days that seems very expensive. if there isnt any cheaper then imo you shouldnt go to work full time because your whole check would go to paying for day care
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArianasMama2007
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:22 AM
I signed up for a child care subsidy it pays like 2 thirds of the cost for my daughters daycare (it varies depending on your income) and (in my state anyway) pre K is free to any and everyone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArianasMama2007
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:22 AM
I signed up for a child care subsidy it pays like 2 thirds of the cost for my daughters daycare (it varies depending on your income) and (in my state anyway) pre K is free to any and everyone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:23 AM

I'm a stay at home mom but if I did get a job then we'd get daycare assistance.

2007mommy2be
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:23 AM
Whats ftm? See if your county, city, or whatever has any day care programs. Where i live my county has this program through the department of education. When they have funding they help pay for child care depending on how much you make, meaning depending on income if you make too much you wont qualify. No this is not head start and this is not through the welfare office. Its something the department of education here offers. Not saying there is anything wrong with the other two i just mentioned, i just wanted it to be clear as to what im saying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Try the ymca they go by income that might help and you don't have to be low income.

MommySteph06
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Childcare is too expensive for us. I was working, but my entire check went to childcare. So I quit and now I'm back in school. By the time I get my degree, our kids will be in school and childcare costs will be greatly reduced.

LovesFredric
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:34 AM

DH & I both work FT & pay $250/wk for our 2 kids....I'm looking forward to when that bill will be gone, but for now it's a necessity for us & I love our in-home daycare!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)