Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chores for lil ones?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM
  • 11 Replies

We are wanting to start a Chore Chart for our boys, so they understand that they should help around the house. I'm not talking about dishes or taking out the trash, or walking our dogs. Our boys are 4yrs(5 Sept.), 2yrs(3 Aug), and 19months(2 Oct). I was thinking picking up toys, take your plate and glass of the table, putting ur own dirty clothes in the laundry basket. I know Koda(4yrs) can do more than Chase(2yrs) and Decklan(19months) but I dont want Koda and Chase thinking that Decklan doesnt have to do anything cause he is so little. So any ideas on what would be just right for each of them to pitch in? My SO and I are struggling with this alil bit. He is sure if Deck should have to do anything because he is the baby, but I believe if he is big enough to make some of the messes he should help out on cleaning them. ANd if we start him now, it wont be so hard when all 3 get to the age they can do dishes and take out the trash and dogs ect. So do any of your children have Chores or things they are s'pose to do daily?

by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Sounds like you're on the right track with chores to me.  :)

mariesmama
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:37 PM

a 19 month old can help pick up toys and help throw things away

army_wifey_06
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I think that sounds like a great idea! Jax will be 2 in July and right now he helps pick up toys in his room and the living room every night before bed or before we leave the house. 

MommaClark3
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM

We do stickers on Magnets... and their heads (pics) are on Magnets too... my boys will be in public, hold the door for a stranger, and than after ask me if they get a magnet for manners! YES!!! Tyler has homework.... so that one is mainly his

~*Beverly*~
http://motherofallboyz.blogspot.com/

emarin77
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:00 PM

My almost 3 year old son puts away his toys every night before he goes to sleep.  When I clean the glass windows he helps wipe them with paper towels.

ArmyWifeAshlie
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:08 PM
I have a 20 month old, he helps pick up his toys, and he helps unload the dishwasher with STRICT supervision. He also throws things away. Just what we do. As he gets older it will change to helping fold towels or something small, helping dust, small stuff. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
our3
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:11 PM

The things you list are things are the normal things my kids do that are not considered chores. These are things that are expected as normal. As for chores, DS (4yo) sometimes vacuums or sweaps for me and feeds the guniea pigs, DD (almost 3yo) puts all low cabinet and drawer clean dishes away. Oldest DD (9yo) cooks some nights, does dishes some nights, cleans up the yard, waters the guniea pigs, vacuums every now and again, and laundry sometimes. From the time the kids could walk they picked up behind themselves.

Mama-3Monsterz
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Thanks! We also have a guiniea pig, I could have one of them help out with those tasks. MamaClark3 I like your board. I have a smaller one in my closet I could try and do something like that with. Thanks for the idea! I know some of the things I mentioned are things they are already s'pose to do, which is one of the reasons I decided to ask other moms. Thanks Ladies!

Mammaof2toddler
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:18 PM

my 3 yr old cleans up his dishes and puts them in the sick, throws his trash away after he eats something,cleans the toys up , trys to make his bed and helps me putting laundry away .... sounds good almost some of the things i started my 3 yr old on

bhwrn1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:14 PM

I think your ideas sound good to me. My LO is 23months, but he helps out: picking up toys, bringing his plate to me in the kitchen (when it's empty), bringing his dirty clothing to me or putting them in the hamper himself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)