Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Picky eater...

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:47 PM
  • 8 Replies
DS is 20 months. He's so picky. It's not for lack of trying, he just stopped eating stuff that was halfway good for him when he turned 1.

Every meal is a fight. He won't eat anything remotely healthy. I'm exhausted from it and frustrated because I feel like I'm a failure.

He will eat: nutragrain bars, cereal, pancakes (sometime), pb sandwiches, chicken nuggets (sometime), turkey (rarely) and frozen fruit, and yogurt/apple sauce. That's it. The whole extent of it.

I am so sick of the fight and he cries when he even sees a vegetable. He won't try them, at all. What else should I do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
shortmama83
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:51 PM
I know that's frustrating! My DD just came out of a long "stage" of being picky about food. Just keep trying and encouraging him to taste new things. Try not to let it get to you on the meantime. I've been told that Aa long as you offer the foods, they will eat It eventually. Try just sticking a little of whatever you are having on the plate, eventually he may just try it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Have you tried giving him things like little carrot sticks with some dressing to dip them in?  He might enjoy doing that and it might get him to eat a few more things.  

It is normal for kids to go through a picky stage at about his age.

ArmyWifeAshlie
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:48 PM
He likes to dip. But not eat. He then tries to feed it to me. Which is fine until i'm full lol

Quoting amonkeymom:

Have you tried giving him things like little carrot sticks with some dressing to dip them in?  He might enjoy doing that and it might get him to eat a few more things.  

It is normal for kids to go through a picky stage at about his age.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
j.mom.07
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM

my daughter is kind of the same way, only it was at about 2 that she stopped eating healthy...

with her, she will eat breads and cookies of pretty much any kind, and cereal or granola or nut bars, and fruits (apples pears bananas and berries) and cereals... she refuses meat of any kind and the veggies she will eat are carrots and cucumbers. For her it is a texture thing usually more so than taste.

some of the things listed above it took some work to even get her to eat...

if he will eat breads- maybe try making zucchini bread? try adding fresh berries to pancakes (only a little at first and then gradually more. add fruits to the yogurt.to get her to east cucumbers we sliced them into little circles and ever since she was a baby wew called them cookies, lol... as she grew older we call them cucumber cookies.

and with new foods what we still do is tell her to take one good bite. after one bite se can choose if she wants more of it or not. she sometimes will throw a major tantrum, but she still has to eat one bite. we dont give her lots of food choices because then she will only eat the junky type food and leave the rest.
i realize that 20 months may seem young to do this, but offer him only veggies and then if he is hungry enough he will eat it, and then do the same with other health options. as long as you are offering him food and giving him plenty of help and encouragemen and time to eat it that is fair.. if he doesnt eat all da give him one portion of one thing he likes just so he gets something in his belly.  at first he might not eat much for a whole day or two even --this is ok as long as you dont let him go too too long without really eating... the next day he may be hungry enough and more willing to try something he normally wouldnt.. also, be sure not to let him fill up on milk and juice. i try to limit my kids' juice to only 16oz at most a day and then they get water. or water with just a bit of flavor in it (juice or lemon or something)

keep offering the same new food several times.  also cut back on snacky snacks and offer veggies for snacks.

just keep offering healthy options and hopefully eventually it will get better. also, as far as nutrition goes, we give our daughter a gummy vitamin everyday and when she has a bad food day we give her a nutripal to make sure she gets some of the nutrients she needs  (nutripals are a version of pediasure drinks they are next to the formula in our store)   Hope this helps and good luck!

ArmyWifeAshlie
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:05 PM

thank you SO much! You just gave me a lot of ideas!!! We do a gummy vitamin once a day as well.

Quoting j.mom.07:

my daughter is kind of the same way, only it was at about 2 that she stopped eating healthy...

with her, she will eat breads and cookies of pretty much any kind, and cereal or granola or nut bars, and fruits (apples pears bananas and berries) and cereals... she refuses meat of any kind and the veggies she will eat are carrots and cucumbers. For her it is a texture thing usually more so than taste.

some of the things listed above it took some work to even get her to eat...

if he will eat breads- maybe try making zucchini bread? try adding fresh berries to pancakes (only a little at first and then gradually more. add fruits to the yogurt.to get her to east cucumbers we sliced them into little circles and ever since she was a baby wew called them cookies, lol... as she grew older we call them cucumber cookies.

and with new foods what we still do is tell her to take one good bite. after one bite se can choose if she wants more of it or not. she sometimes will throw a major tantrum, but she still has to eat one bite. we dont give her lots of food choices because then she will only eat the junky type food and leave the rest.
i realize that 20 months may seem young to do this, but offer him only veggies and then if he is hungry enough he will eat it, and then do the same with other health options. as long as you are offering him food and giving him plenty of help and encouragemen and time to eat it that is fair.. if he doesnt eat all da give him one portion of one thing he likes just so he gets something in his belly.  at first he might not eat much for a whole day or two even --this is ok as long as you dont let him go too too long without really eating... the next day he may be hungry enough and more willing to try something he normally wouldnt.. also, be sure not to let him fill up on milk and juice. i try to limit my kids' juice to only 16oz at most a day and then they get water. or water with just a bit of flavor in it (juice or lemon or something)

keep offering the same new food several times.  also cut back on snacky snacks and offer veggies for snacks.

just keep offering healthy options and hopefully eventually it will get better. also, as far as nutrition goes, we give our daughter a gummy vitamin everyday and when she has a bad food day we give her a nutripal to make sure she gets some of the nutrients she needs  (nutripals are a version of pediasure drinks they are next to the formula in our store)   Hope this helps and good luck!

crimsonangel180
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:42 PM
Sounds like my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2LittleLoves
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:49 PM

You need to buy "Deceptively Delicious." There are a lot of really neat recipes in the book. Sweet potatoes in pancakes (and it's actually pretty good), apple sauce muffins, and a lot of other recipes.

My son started the picky eater phase right around 20 months old... he's 4 now and has just recently started eating other foods. If he doesn't want to eat what you put in front of him, don't force him. I've learned over the last few years that it just frustrates the kids more and makes them less likely to try anything new. 

bhwrn1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:24 PM

My LO, 23 months old, is THE SAME WAY! He used to be a good eater. but all of a sudden he stopped wanting to eat and only eats a few things. So, I feed him those things. Having experience with two other kids before him, I know it will change. But for now, I give him the things he'll eat and make sure he gets lots of the stuff that's healthy that is on his list (bananas, apples, yogurt).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)