Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nervous about sending DS to daycare :(

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM
  • 21 Replies

My DH and my mother are constantly saying that I need to put DS in a daycare program...not even full time...just a day or two a week. something to give me a break since I'm a fulltime SAHM.

so i found a few schools around me...very close to me actually....Primrose (which DHs friends wife is the director of), lighthouse learning center, and Kindercare.

Kindercare would let him go 1 day a week for 4-5 hours for $37, that includes snack and everything. I just have to bring HIS things obviously like diapers and wipes. They have a pretty good curriculum from what I've seen....and the ladies I've spoken to are quite friendly.

I'm horribly nervous though.....horribly. DS is 2 yo and has NEVER been without me for that long...well maybe once while me and DH went to a movie but he was younger and didn't understand.

Part of me really doesn't want to send him, even once a week, but i am starting to realize that he could really benefit from socilization with other children and a structured learning enviornment.

I'm just terrified to leave him...although i know it could do me and him some good. Plus we have a new baby on the way and i'm due in Nov, and i know that even just one day a week after the new baby comes would help me out sooo much.

I'm a wreck just thinking about it and i started to cry thinking of dropping him off with some people i dont really know. ::sigh::

by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vamom08
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:47 PM
I have daycare phobia as well I'm terrified of sending my child to daycare also but sometimes as parents we have to make choices we can't shelter our children for life just let him go one day and see how it turn out. I'm starting my daughter off in a smaller setting daycare and from their I will put her into a Christan daycare we have to let our children grow up.I have been a stay-at-home mom for 2 years I think its time for her to be around other children she is starting to be very clingy as parents we need our space as well .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:30 PM

If you're a wreck thinking about it, maybe you should consider joining a MOPS group or some other types of playgroups for now instead of putting him in daycare.  You have to be comfortable with your decision, and it doesn't sound like you'd be comfortable with what your DH & mom are pushing you to do.

ctfirsttimemom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I have daycare phobia too and so does my husband, I thought about going back to work, interviewed got the job and found a daycare finally I liked and then the company went under in the 2 weeks before I was supposed to start. 

Why not start with a playgroup for socialization, then he can be around other kids with you and then work up to a day a week in daycare.

TruthSeeker.
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I would choose the place where you at least know someone. Also, before you leave him, take a tour to see how they do things. The first day, stay awhile. The second time you take him, pop back in unexpectedly so you can make sure everything is going ok.

Personally, I would NOT put my child in daycare(just to have time off) until they were able to talk well.

TruthSeeker.
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Quoting amonkeymom:

If you're a wreck thinking about it, maybe you should consider joining a MOPS group or some other types of playgroups for now instead of putting him in daycare.  You have to be comfortable with your decision, and it doesn't sound like you'd be comfortable with what your DH & mom are pushing you to do.

This is a great idea!! A MOPS group!!

j.mom.07
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:59 PM

i agree with pp, maybe start with just a play group for socialization... just so he can have some friends... start with that for a while. also maybe try to get to know some of he people at the daycare ou want to send him to before you take him so you dont feel like its strangers so much... maybe even see if any of them have their own kids and see if you could have a play date with them... just getting to know the workers a little better will help you feel more comfortable.

quietsmilie
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Take it slowly.  Most daycares will let you stay for 1/2 hour or so and then leave him for just an hour or two the first day (or few days) - until you both feel comfortable.  My son started day care at 18 months and has loved it.  I was definitely more upset than he was.

bebe_ju-rah
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:10 PM
I think every momma has daycare phobia...they should anyway! Lol My dd has been going to daycare since 18 months and I was sooooo against it at the time. I had no other options tho :( I was so lucky to have found a facility that was so family oriented and that dealt with my calls every hour (literally)! Dd is now 4 and still goes to the same school, with the same teachers and the same kids. She starts vpk at this school in Aug and I can honestly say that I trust my dd's life with these people. Its hard, without question. I cried uncontrollably in their parking lot many times...now I'm glad that I made the decision bc dd is way ahead of my friend's kids who were kept at home. :) GL momma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
virgochild79
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I know how you feel. I used to send my son to daycare for about 6 months while I was working outside the home but it costs too much and some of the things he would come home saying which he picked up from other kids was just a hot mess! I've been a WAHM for the past 3.5 years now and I absolutely love having my son home with me. I know that I can't shelter him his whole life but I sure could while he was a lil one! Go with your gut. Some daycares aren't bad, some actually teach kids and take really good care of them while some of them don't do either. $37 a day is super high by the way. Don't worry about your childs socialization skills with other kids, if you take him to the park to play, he gets it there! You can teach him just as much at home as they can at daycare an he gets all the attention! I wouldn't stress over what other people are telling you, if you don't feel you need a "break" then don't send him, join a group where you meet up with other SAHM and their kids!

crimsonangel180
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:21 PM
My kids are starting 2 days a week 3 hours a day in june.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)