Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this normal?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:20 PM
  • 4 Replies

I know all kids develop different but I have a question. My niece is 7 months old and she doesn't sit yet. Today my sister was feeding her and she was not sitting at all, she was laying back like when you sit them to watch TV. I told her put her in the walker and feed her there, she goes no she will make a mess. Then I put her in the floor on her stomach and she won't hold her head up for longer than 2 mins. She will just roll over and won't try to crawl at all. I asked her, if she sat alone she showed me and her neck and the top part of the back had no strength. She would just go to the side or forward.  At 7 months my DD was walking grabbing onto things and was sitting up all alone and even got up grabbing onto furniture. She said her pediatrician said she was fine, but her pediatrician also told her to take the baby's temp on her neck. So to me that doc doesn't know S%%%. What do you ladies think? I don't like to tell her what I think cause I don't want her to think im just a know it all and im just trying to show off.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
crimsonangel180
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM
At 7 months she should be able to at last support her head while on her tummy. Maybe a bumbo chair would help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1boy1girlmama
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Well it's not abnormal to not sit up by 7 months. Mine were about that age, actually my son was 7.5 months before he could sit independently,  and my daughter was 6.5 months. My son did not crawl at that age or walk, neither one of mine did. Though my daughter has cerebral palsy so you can't really tell what is 'normal' by gaging her, even though she did hit some of her milestones before my 'normal' son. She just figures things out faster than him. My son walked at 12 months, started crawling at 11.5 months, and rolled everywhere until then. My daughter is 2 and just started walking, but like I said she has CP, mild though.

I would be most concerned about not having strength in her neck, and not being able to hold her head up.  THAT would concern me a lot. Is it her first baby? I would gently suggest she take her to a different pedi, at 7 months she absolutely should be able to hold her head up and have some strength in her neck.  If she can't contact another Pedi have her contact Early Intervention (birth to 3 in some places it's called something different everywhere) they will do an evaluation for free, and if she qualifies for services then she can get Physical therapy through them for free.

My daughter has been in early intervention since birth, and she is doing WONDERFUL, and the services we have gotten through them have been very valuable. 

bhwrn1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I would be concerned about the neck stregnth more than anything else. Some kids don't sit until later. My oldest didn't crawl till he was 11 months and didn't walk until 16 months whereas my LO crawled by 6 months and was walking by 13 months.

momoftwins_2
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:21 PM

babies just develop different, yea, most babies should have more support than that. But I remember my twins didnt sit up by themselves GOOD until they were 9 months. They didnt walk until after their 1st birthday. However, my son who is 4 months sits by himself with the support of a boppy, he can hold his head up while hes on his tummy for the whole time. Hes always done great with head control. I think every baby is just different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)