Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 year old with speech delay...Several questions...

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:06 PM
  • 29 Replies

My 3 year old (will be 4 in August) has a very bad speech problem. He talks all the time, tells me what happened at school, tells his teachers about stuff at home, likes, dislikes, needs, etc. Problem is, no one really knows what he is saying. I can pick out a few words to get some detail about what he is telling me but other than that I feel so bad, I just dont know what he is saying.

Recently I took him to the dentist, and she said he had a High-Arch Palate. I asked if this made a difference in speech and she said yes, a big one.

Everyone keeps telling me to have his hearing checked, which I am, but now that I learned this, what do I do? He already has speech therapy set up to start August. I have been soooooooo stressed about this for over a year now.

Does anyone have any advice, stories, ideas...anything? I need answeres and support.

Thanks in advance...

*stressed mommy*

by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
activitymode
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:07 PM

My three year old does this as well. He also stutters. Its frustrating for him and for us. We are getting his hearing tested soon. 

Heather_the_Mom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:12 PM

I haven't dealt with this particular problem, but my son did have his own language until he was four.  I knew what he was saying, but no one else did.  I can tell you that it doesn't do you or your son any good to stress out about it.  Do what you need to do, and learn all you can, but don't freak out about it.  In the end you both will learn how to deal with it, and his speach will improve.  Just have patience and know that it will get better.  Good luck with your little one!

mammabear18
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:16 PM
((hugs)) I think your on the right path! Don't stress mamma, I'm sure it will all work out. My dd was a late talker, and my ds I had to always correct him when he would say words wrong, but I would make it a game...

Example
"mommy I want a not-dog"
"Blake that's silly! Mommy doesn't know what a not-dog is! Do you mean HOT-dog?"
"(laughing) yes HOT-dog mommy"

His speech has improved a lot. I'm sure everything will work out for the best. Like I said I think your doing an awesome job! Hope I helped some.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:26 AM

I would do both, have his hearing checked and also tell the Dr what the dentist said!

VioletPlacebo
by on May. 22, 2011 at 10:20 AM

In addition to everything you're already doing, you could start teaching him sign language. There are lots of DVDs available (most libraries have them) and also tons of videos on youtube.  My daughter started sign at 9mos and it was a tantrum stopper for us. She still signs at age 4 and it's a great second language to know.

annebelle211
by on May. 22, 2011 at 10:30 AM

my daughter who is 3 1/2 also has speech problems.  she can say most sounds but has problems putting the sounds together.  We have her in speech therapy through our school district and she is going to have her hearing checked this friday.  I also get very stressed because I don't want her to fall behind

KayDziedzic
by on May. 22, 2011 at 10:47 AM

My DD has an articulation delay (it was "severe" when she was diagnosed). When her dr gave us her referral when she was 2.5, we had such a hard time understanding her. We used to say it sounded like she had her own language or was talking underwater. The only consonant sounds she used were 'h', 'w', 'y', 'p', 'm' and 'b', and 'h' is the only one she'd use in the middle and end of words. Services started last September and DD can now make 'n', 's', 'sh', 'ch', 'k', 'f', soft 'g', and 'l' sounds, in any position in a word. She's still behind and services will continue in the fall, but we don't always have to interpret any more.

I'd wait until your son starts speech therapy, unless your dr or denist says otherwise. The therapist will be able to determine whether your son can learn to form the sounds he has trouble with, with the high-arch palate, or if you need to consider correcting the palate, as well as if there are any other factors (tongue tie, or developmental for example) that make it hard for him to articulate.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things :) Good luck!

Sarah993
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:00 AM
My DD also has a speech delay. She'll be 5 next month and we have seen huge improvements since she started. We had her hearing checked a few times just to be safe and she is in therapy through the school district and for her first year we also had a private speech therapist.

Make sure you mention what the dentist said to both your Dr and the speech therapist. We were also told that while its not genetic it is more likely for a child to have a speech delay when one or both of their parents did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:31 AM

That is great he is starting speech services soon!  That is the best course of action!  :)

alouya21
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:45 PM

my dd is 3 and is having trouble with her speech. so far her hearing has come back good but she fail her speech test at school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)