Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help please?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:23 PM
  • 5 Replies

So I am having some trouble with my son. He just turned 3, but for the past 6 months or so he has gotten SO hyperactive, destructive and aggressive.

We've talked to his doctor about autism, and he said that he doesn't think that he has it.
I've taken an ADHD quiz for him, and they said they don't think he has it either.

He has SUCH violent uncontrolable tantrums, he trashes, kicks, hits (but thankfully no biting.) He pulls down his curtians in his room and wrekced his blinds. We can't have his or my daughter's dressers outside of their closets because he'll take everything out.

He has a hard time with discipline, he doesn't like to hear "no" and he had a very hard time calming down once he gets worked up.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

shrugging

by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
bunnywzrd
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:31 PM

My youngest daughter is like that. We started watching what she ate and watching how she acted after. We discovered that when she ate anything with red food dye in it she went nuts. She gets mean, loud and angry. The will throw tantrums that we can do nothing about. She doesn't see, hear or feel you. So talking, spanking or sitting her in the corner was pointless. We rarely allow her to have anything with red food dye in it now. If she eat a lot of anything with any food dyes in it makes her loud and high strung. But red is the worst. We also stopped eating so many boxed meals. The high amount of preservatives in them make her hyper too. Also something in Pepsi effects her.

You may want to try keeping a food diary. Write down what he eat and when. Then every hour or so write down how he is acting. It couldn't hurt to try.

bree_gabys_mom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:41 PM

going through the same thing with my almost 5 y/o

ashleyakamommy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Ok thanks. I'll definitely try that. I've heard that about food dyes--my daughter was just diagnosed with ADD, and I've read that a diet without dyes (especially red) would help-so we've been trying that for the past few days. Hopefully it'll start working better soon. Thanks for the advice.

Quoting bunnywzrd:

My youngest daughter is like that. We started watching what she ate and watching how she acted after. We discovered that when she ate anything with red food dye in it she went nuts. She gets mean, loud and angry. The will throw tantrums that we can do nothing about. She doesn't see, hear or feel you. So talking, spanking or sitting her in the corner was pointless. We rarely allow her to have anything with red food dye in it now. If she eat a lot of anything with any food dyes in it makes her loud and high strung. But red is the worst. We also stopped eating so many boxed meals. The high amount of preservatives in them make her hyper too. Also something in Pepsi effects her.

You may want to try keeping a food diary. Write down what he eat and when. Then every hour or so write down how he is acting. It couldn't hurt to try.

crimsonangel180
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:48 PM
Red food dye. Agree with this specifically red 40

Quoting bunnywzrd:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyk21
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:38 AM

I am also going through this with my 3 year old. I am not sure if it has anything to do with her little sister, who now fights back with her and what not. My 3 yr old did show her sister to hit back, scream, kick, pinch, bite, etc. She also has a hard time with disipline. Before, time out would work for us, but lately it hasn't. She screams no at us, its crazy. I'm not quite sure where this is all coming from

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)