Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

:( where did my sweet little boy go......?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:34 AM
  • 17 Replies
and who is this little contrary, smart mouthed heathen who looks like him? Ds just turned 4 but for about 6 weeks now he has been talking back and doing smartass things like smiling at me when i get on to him about something (omg infuriating!) or willfully, and sometimes while i am present, disobeying me. Then laughing. Til he gets a timeout, which is daily now, then it is whining and crying.idk what to do, mamas. It was like one day, sweet ds, the next day, smartass demon in the guise of ds. Is this a phase? I am exhausted from him constantly testing boundaries and frustrated because not even the rare spanking curtails the behavior. Don't know what i'm doing wrong. Please help.:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelenia
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:46 AM
and i give him LOTS of praise and positive reinforcement and redirect rather than punish whenever i can. I mean, is he doing it for my reaction? I spend lots of time with him, too, so i don't understand why, if this is simply attention getting behavior. And i hate myself because i don't want to be around him if i can avoid it and i have started raising my voice out of exhausted frustration so i feel doubly shitty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelenia
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:04 AM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelenia
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:47 AM
bump and bump because i seriously need some insight from more experienced moms. Oh, did i mention i am a first time mom? My son is 4 so you'd think i'd have a clue already but...eh....not so much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormystar15
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:55 AM
I dunno my 4 yr old has been like that since the day he turned 4. im thinking about getting the 1-2-3 magic book to see if i change things up if he will act better. he was my first too so i have no clue. heres a bump so i can see everyones responce so i can get some help with it to. good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelenia
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:15 AM
awww, thank you for responding, Stormy! I am glad i am not alone. The change in behavior was so abrupt, it was like the podpeople kidnapped ds and left a horrible smart mouthed little troll in his place. I just want to understand the motive/developmental impetus so maybe i can respond/react more appropriately. As it stands now, i fantasize about duct tape WAY too often:/

*disclaimer* please note i said fantasize. I would never actually do something so awful to my kiddo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4bugletlove
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:34 AM
Oh gosh I'm with you :( my DD1 is 5 1/2 and has been some pod person for about a year. I wonder the same thing- where did my sweet girl go?!
She is sassy, talks back, bossy, rude, disrespectful, etc. I'm in shock because DD2 (age 4) isn't like that... And I KNOW I didn't raise a brat!
I've talked to her pre-k teacher about it (who has known her since she was 2) and she said its very normal for their age. They're "big kids" now. Starting kindergarten soon (DD missed the age cutoff). They're all little know it alls.
Course after she's driven me so insane that I wanna throw myself into oncoming traffic, she turns into little miss sweetie.
I like to say she has multiple personalities lol.

The advice I have gotten and what I do is just be consistent. Time outs, taking toys/privileges. Its tiring and sometimes I don't think it even works, but I don't think I have another choice (unless there's boot camp for preschoolers??lol).
Good luck :) you're doing great! I know it seems like ALL you do is fight, but it has to be done. It'll get better :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2and2onway
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:54 AM

My Braden is going through this right now, he is seeing a lot of the naughty chair the past few weeks. I really think its a phase on controlling their own enviornment. Making sure you use consistant positive reinforcement along with consistant punishments, it will probably not last too long.

.Angelica.
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:57 AM

I think it's a phase. My son is nearing 4 and is starting to do this... It's not fun.

sophiesmom07
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I don't know, but where ever he went, my dd went too! lol.  All I can do is try not to react to her behavior, which can be infuriating at times! Keep  punishment consistent and praise good behavior. I have been told that this will pass and she'll be better in another year or so :/ Lets hope!

angelenia
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:27 PM
thank you thank you ladies! While it's disheartening that i may have most of a year left to deal with my pod person, it feels good to know that i am not alone and have not made some horrible parenting mistake.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)