Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Biting

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:46 AM
  • 2 Replies

have a 2 y.o. ds. He was developmentally delayed and is somewhat verbal right now. He is a very happy,bright child. The only thing is is that he bites. He bites me,dh,my 3.5 y.o. dd and yesterday he bit another child (for the first time). .He does it at random times, so its not because he is frustratedthat I can tell. The only time I can tell that brings on a biting time is when he gets really excited. I don't know how to stop him. I have tried various things and he thinks everything is funny that we try.I have been told to bite him back, but I can't do that due to the fact that I had reconstructive surgery on my upper face and jaw years ago and have limited feeling on my upper jaw, so I won't be able to tell how hard I bite him,

Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Bieg9093
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I think an INSTANT reaction to his biting is the fastest way to nip it in the bud.  And with biting, time matters.  Regardless of whether you go with a physical response or not,  the INSTANT he bites something has to happen that he doesn't like.  Stick close to him, watch for clues it's about to happen and swoop in the second he bites.  (If he's about to bite somebody else's kid, you can swoop in before the bite...lol.)

bhwrn1
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I agree with this. It has to be instantaneous with biting b/c they won't remember back. And I wouldn't bite him back. I think that is showing him it is ok, tbh. What kinds of things have you tried?

Quoting Bieg9093:

I think an INSTANT reaction to his biting is the fastest way to nip it in the bud.  And with biting, time matters.  Regardless of whether you go with a physical response or not,  the INSTANT he bites something has to happen that he doesn't like.  Stick close to him, watch for clues it's about to happen and swoop in the second he bites.  (If he's about to bite somebody else's kid, you can swoop in before the bite...lol.)

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)