• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:55 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have a good friend, who's got a 27 month old, who had open heart surgery at a week old. He is a bit small for his age, but I've noticed  certain things. He never makes eye contact with people, if I say his name, he doesn't respond, and often doesnt even to his parents. He will follow things on the tv with his hands, doesnt talk at all, makes the same sounds again and again, lays on the floor and bashes his arms and legs off the floor while turning his head side to side and screaming, he walks on his tip toes alot and seems to have some muscle contraction, like he will lay on the floor and straighten and tighten the muscles in his legs and arms. he still picks at things with his two fingers, like small things on the floor, or your eyes, or jewelry also when he plays with toys like blocks, he doesnt try to build, instead he throws them or fiddles with them, or with trucks, he doesnt drive them, he turns them over and fiddles with the wheels. He still wakes up in the middle of the night for bottles, and is a very picky eater...she's at her wits end, and Ive mentioned autism to her, and she agrees he may be but shes attributing alot of it to his heart surgery when he was born, and her family keeps saying hes too young to be tested, but everything Ive read says early intervention is key, and there are certain ways for autistic children to learn very important things, such as speech etc. What do you think ? And what can I do to help her?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tracy2863
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:04 PM
It sounds like he needs to have an evaluation.....there are definite signs that he is showing that screams autism.

I am a big believer in early intervention and having him evaluated can't hurt...only help him.

I would definitely encourage her to seek out help. I am surprised her pediatrician hasn't expressed concern if he is being told about all that you have listed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:06 PM

He's not to young all you can do he keep talking to her it's not that he's to young its that she is afraid to face the possibility. Good Luck

hmommy07
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:06 PM

what's the harm in getting him evaluated? sounds like a lot of red flags to me.

DawsonGia0611
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:09 PM

The family doc is the same as mine (we live in a small town, and hes an alcoholic) there are no family docs around here anymore, we take what we can get, but he does have a pediatrician due to his heart problem, tho I think shes only mentioned some of this stuff to the family doc. She did get one of those..i cant remember the name, but its a screening chart, with yes and no questions, and she had it filled out at her house, but when I looked at it, she was in denial about alot of things, big time, and I don't think she even returned it. She was refered to early intervention, they said someone can come to her home, or she can take him there but she hasnt gotten on the ball with it, and when i mention it, she will either say shes getting on it, or that she thinks hes too young, or that this doc or that one said its due to his heart problems, and that its just slight delays. I know several children with autism, and he is screaming all the signs. I don't know what to do!

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Where is the nearest big city they may have a children's hospital?

DawsonGia0611
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:14 PM

its 6 hours away, the IWK hospital, but they are very low income, dont own a vehicle, and if i cant even get her to pass in a paper, or make a call to the early intervention, i doubt i can convince her to drive 6 hours. i think shes in denial, but i dont know how to help her..and its mixed because sometimes she will agree with me.

karenl
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:17 PM

He's not too young to be evaluated, my son got tested at 20 months. I agree with Dacia79, a children's hospital is a great place to start. I wish them the best of luck!

karenl
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Try to get her to get in touch with early intervention....

Quoting DawsonGia0611:

its 6 hours away, the IWK hospital, but they are very low income, dont own a vehicle, and if i cant even get her to pass in a paper, or make a call to the early intervention, i doubt i can convince her to drive 6 hours. i think shes in denial, but i dont know how to help her..and its mixed because sometimes she will agree with me.

Tracy2863
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:21 PM
The sad part about this is that unless the parents are on board and willing to face reality, nothing is going to help.

If it were my friend, I would really talk to her about your concerns. Encourage her and reassure her that you will support her. Really empasize that she needs to do what's best for the child even if it's hard on her. Do this until she shuts you out or does something....you are hope for that child getting help.

Even if it's delays due to surgery and the heart condition, he still could benefit from an OT and a Speech therapist. Maybe if you could shift the focus from "autism" to help catching up, she would be more agreeable. I am 100% sure they would catch on to signs that you mentioned above.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miaulagata
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:25 PM

u know, the first thing I did was to cut off all dairy from my son's diet, and all gluten. I notice an amazing change in his behavior. My son by then was staring at the window for long periods of time. Was totally away in his "own world" our ped kept saying that everything was normal. After I change his diet, his spam attention clearly change for good.

I was desperate! so I went to a Latino forum. They advise me to buy and give to him certain vitamins like B12 nasal. WOW he stop doing lots of things!!! He even stop having seizures (that he has having after the 12 moth vaccines). I can honestly tell u that for me that advice on time. SAVE OUR LIVES!!!

There is a scientific explanation for the change of diet. (yeast in the intestins/lack of enzimes/ candida/ intestinal dysbiosis/ food adiction .They behave like morfin adicts)

My son is now almost 3yrs old and he is doing amazing! he is in the mildest end of autism now. (His autism started when he was 12 months, and got a lot worse after the MMR vaccines. He had serious sensory issues and he has non verbal, now he speaks more than 100 words and he makes sentences)

Again, my advice is DIET!!!!, I know people can be skeptical about vitamins and stuff, but for me made miracles!!!!

The best of luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)