Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

What age did your LO start preschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

We are debating when to start DD in school. She just turned 2.

When did you start and how often did they go? How many hours a day?

by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM
Replies (11-20):
Traci_Momof2
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 4:08 PM

My kids didn't / don't go to pre-school.  They've been with an in-home daycare provider for the past 3 years.  That gets them enough learning and socialization IMO.

I think whether pre-school is right or not is very dependent on the family situation and on the individual child.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Hey,
I started my son in daycare a little after he turned 1 because I had to go back to work.  I dont' know if he got much out of it back then, but the next calss up (the upper 1's and 2's) he definitetly started learning stuff and really enjoying it :).  Many preschools have a parttime program that you are able to do, where she goes in 2-3 days a week in the morning, might be a good place to start :) 

atlshine
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 4:34 PM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmmieandMom
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Look at Mother Day Out programs when mine was 2 she went 2 days a week 9:30 - 2:30.  Gives you time away for yourself and her socialization she needs you don't get much socilization at a class..

justanotherjen
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 5:04 PM

#1 started shortly after turning 4--1 1/2 hours a day, 2 days a week

#2 never went to preschool

#3 started a couple months after turning 5, only went half a year at 2 hours a day, 2 days a week

#4 started at 3 1/2, same hours as #3 but didn't go when she was 4.  She starts kindergarten in the fall

#5 most likely won't go to preschool because we can't afford a traditional school.  The school the girls went to was through our park district and was like $180 for the entire year (Sept-May).

emarin77
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 6:32 PM

we started at 2.5 because we can pay for it and our son doesn't play with children where we live

bhwrn1
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:08 PM

My kids are in a private daycare/pre-school. They bring the kids to an intermediate pre-school room when they are 2 (they learn to sit at a table, sleep on a mat, etc., it's much more strutured). They go all day b/c DH and I both work.

rachael_c
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:09 PM

My daughter will be 3 in 4 weeks and she starts preschool this Sept. 

butterflyfreak
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:27 PM

My daughter started preschool when she was 3 (and 1/4 LOL) for 4 days a week, 3 hours a day. It was through the school district and didn't cost us anything as my daughter was eligible for the birth-5 program because of her hearing loss. The hearing loss had resulted in speech, language development and cognitive delays. If it wasn't for that, I would probably not have sent her as I would not have been willing to spend the money for preschool when I am a SAHM. I'm so glad she's there though because she absolutely loves it. I'm looking forward to her going back next year as it is fascinating how quickly they learn new things! Not that she doesn't learn new things when she's home, it's just not so obvious to me since I'm the one teaching her. LOL

anon421
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)