Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

What age did your LO start preschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

We are debating when to start DD in school. She just turned 2.

When did you start and how often did they go? How many hours a day?

by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM
Replies (21-30):
butterfly2425
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:45 PM

He had to start 3 days after he turned 3 years old. It was a PPCD program though.

mom2maryjoseph
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 11:51 PM

DD will start preschool right before she turns 4.  Her bday is 9/11.  Her daycare has a 3-K program she will attend next year.

Tree-Tree
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 12:02 AM
We started at 3 because our preschool was strictly preschool not day care children have to be 100 percent potty trained know their abc's and count to 20 too and know all colors and shapes to get in to this preschool
sofiesmom112
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 7:20 AM

We go to a co-op preschool and started when dd was 19 months old.

For the 1st year, she went one afternoon a week for 2 hours and I went with her...Very little interaction with the other kids, mostly parallel play, but a structured 15 minute story time within the 2 hours.

2nd year was 2 mornings a week for 3 hours per day, with a 15 minute morning time structure, and then open play for about 2 hours, then 15 minute story time session, and lunch at school. That year I worked one day a week in her class.

3rd year was 3 mornings a week for 3 hours a day, same set up as the 2nd year.

4th year, which we will do this fall is 4 afternoons a week for 3 hours a day. I am not sure on the structured time versus free play, as this is a new class for us, and again, I am working in the class once a week.

As a coop, in the 1 day class, there are maximum 24 kids, and 24 parents, plus the teacher (could be less parents if there are twins in the class). 2 and 3 day class also max at 24 kids, but there are 8 parents and the teacher each day, 4 day class also max of 24 kids with 6 parents and the teacher. Each class has age restrictions to get in, but it is a great program. All the learning is play based, no worksheets to sit and do. Each month and week there is a theme in the class, ie: life on the farm, the oceans, space,spring has sprung, weather, insects, flying friends, the forest, etc....In every class there are stations the kids can go to for activities, plus a huge yard with different dedicated areas of play. The stations are Art Table, Science and Math, Writers table, Block Room, Sandpond, Playstructure, Bikes and Kitchen. A parent is assigned to man a station each day and has a teacher defined activity to supervise at that station. Its a great experience for both the parents and the kids.

StaceyAmber
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 7:57 AM

My little boy started preschool at 3. He really enjoys it. He goes 4 days a week for 31/2 hours. Enough for some socialization with kids his age and still ots of time at home.

LyTe684
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2011 at 7:59 AM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbfcmom
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 8:26 AM
I'm sorry if I offend anybody, not meaning to, but my opinion is that the whole "preschool" thing for toddlers is a bunch of hype. It's still just daycare, they aren't getting anything there that they can't get at home even better. If moms have to work, then of course I understand, but I could never bring myself to pay for a stranger to watch my child while I sat at home. They will learn so much more in the smaller environment and one-on-one attention of home than they ever will in daycare. As far as social opportunities, it is very easy in this day and age to find local playgroups to join. Heck, I honestly think even just taking them to a public park with other kids around is enough at this age. My oldest didn't start until 4. In our state we have public preschool (3 hrs/day) that is free for those turning 4 before Sept 1. I took advantage of that because I thought it would make an easier transition for the 6.5 hr long days that kindergarten will be. If it weren't free though, I doubt I would have paid for anything...don't know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HeatherSumowski
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 8:28 AM
My DD goes Mon-Fri 7:30am-4:30pm during the school year. She got out of June 3rd and doesn't go back until August 8th. She started right before she turned 3. Basically as soon as she was potty trained and able to handle it I sent her. I am one of those moms that wants her to get good socialization skills and public education.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eviesmommy
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 8:50 AM

She was in a learning/preschool type setting from 6 months old to about 2 years old for 9 hours a day because I took her to work with me. (Worked at a daycare, we were also a state accredited preschool) Then we moved to a different state, and she stayed home with me. I got a job as a nanny right after she turned 4, and she came with me. In about February of this year, my boss and I both decided that the 4 year olds (she has one that's a day younger than mine) needed a learning environment away from home, and started them together in a half day preschool 3 days a week. My boss graciously payed for it, on the guides that I take care of her remaining child, a 2 year old, "off the clock" for the time the other 2 were at school. I probably would not have done it had she not offered to pay. But I'm very glad that I did, because my daughter loved it, and just in the few short months that she was there, she learned so much, and she is now more than ready for kindergarten. (according to her teachers at the preschool) I really wish they had offered a summer program so she could get a little more out of it.

Kellileanne
by Member on Jun. 23, 2011 at 8:51 AM

My daughter has gone to daycare most of her life, she started preschool a few weeks before turning 3.  She will start prek 3 months before turning 4.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN