Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

What age did your LO start preschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

We are debating when to start DD in school. She just turned 2.

When did you start and how often did they go? How many hours a day?

by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM
Replies (31-40):
TristanMitchael
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 8:58 AM
Tristan started Preschool a couple of weeks after he turned 3. He went to school for 3 1/2 hours a day. He would eat breakfast there & I would pick him up before lunch. I had no intentions of sending him to school then but we went with my sister and nephew to check out the preschool and Tristan didn't want to leave so I thought I would give it a try and he loved it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heartnhidin
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 8:58 AM

heartnhidin
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 9:05 AM

I have to disagree with you my son is attending pre-school to help his speech and is getting therapy there. He only goes 3 days a week for 2 and a half hours a day. It seems you look down on moms that send their children to pre-school

Quoting jbfcmom:

I'm sorry if I offend anybody, not meaning to, but my opinion is that the whole "preschool" thing for toddlers is a bunch of hype. It's still just daycare, they aren't getting anything there that they can't get at home even better. If moms have to work, then of course I understand, but I could never bring myself to pay for a stranger to watch my child while I sat at home. They will learn so much more in the smaller environment and one-on-one attention of home than they ever will in daycare. As far as social opportunities, it is very easy in this day and age to find local playgroups to join. Heck, I honestly think even just taking them to a public park with other kids around is enough at this age. My oldest didn't start until 4. In our state we have public preschool (3 hrs/day) that is free for those turning 4 before Sept 1. I took advantage of that because I thought it would make an easier transition for the 6.5 hr long days that kindergarten will be. If it weren't free though, I doubt I would have paid for anything...don't know.

Elba337
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 9:08 AM

My daughter will start in the VPK program in August. She has been with a sitter from birth.  I plan to start her with the 3 hours a day for the first couple of weeks then we will go from there.   I have a 2 year old but she will stay with the sitter until she's older.

AllanRaesMomma
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Allan is starting in August this year and he will be 4. I found no reason to send him any sooner. If I had sent him at 3 then he would have to do two years of preschool and I did not think it was necessary.

My 3 favorite boys

Aaron James, Allan Rae & Braelon James

mariest2179
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM

My SS and DD both started in Pre-K at four.  My youngest DD is starting Headstart this year in the 3-year old class. We decided to do this with her because she misses the deadline for Pre-K by 2 days. She'll be four Oct 2nd and has spent her first three years home with me. We think it's time for her to get out there and make some friends. Unlike her older siblings, she gets lonely during the day being the only child at home.

katelynsmommy30
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 10:12 AM
This exactly!!!!! My dd will be 4 in august and hasn't missed out on anything from not being in preschool or daycare! She is more social then I am! And I teach her everything she needs to know!!! :)

Quoting sugareemommee:

I agree with all you said, especially that in red.  my son is 4 and he will not be attending preschool, he's already way ahead of the kids who are in school, full time.. and if it's a shock for him to go to Kindergarten 5 days a week, guess what.. he'll get used to it gradually.  I did it, his daddy did it, his aunts and uncles did it. 

Quoting SoniaL:

An hour a day is plenty for a 2 year old. (when you say "She just turned 2 and really wants the socialization and stimulation from a classroom setting" - did she inform you of this? How?) They can learn just as much in their daily lives as in any classroom.  I am just now reading  abook that is talking about how marketing and big companies have convinced parents if their kids aren't in classes constantly from birth then they somehow will be behind and there is not one shred of evidence to back it up.

I personally do not send my kids to preschool. But if I did it would be for ONE year only, the year before kindergarten. i would never sned a 2 year old to preschool.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Both were 4. My youngest is starting in August.

AmyG1976
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM

my oldest went two hours two days a week at 3 then 3 days a week 2 hours at 4 and 5. my next went to prek at 4 and 5 for 2 hours 5 days he was very badly speech delayed and went into a special needs prek.  my next went at 3 4 and 5 just because she wanted to follow her brother so I let her 2 hours 5 days with the idea that she would prob not keep going that first year and I would just pull her if it did not work for her but she liked it and stayed., my last went at 2 but it was easter seals toddler class for basicly was delayed accross the board (he was very premature though the delays were without correcting his age though)  then 3 he went for speech only he was all caught up made huge strides.  then 4 I sent him to prek just because he had been going although it was just a repeat really of the past few years for 1/2 the year then they were all pulled to homeschool

mariest2179
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Quoting our3:

My DS starts this fall he is 4, my oldest was 4 also. I dont feel anything under 4 is necessary. As it is the kids will be in school for a min of 13 years when starting preschool at 4, and I just dont see why someoone would want to take away the couple years a kid has to actually be a kid without the stresses of school.

I suppose it would depend on the program, but none of my kids were stressed by school until they hit the first grade. They absolutely loved Pre-k and Kindergarten.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN