Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What age did your LO start preschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

We are debating when to start DD in school. She just turned 2.

When did you start and how often did they go? How many hours a day?

by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM
Replies (41-50):
xxsweetgurlxx
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 10:23 AM
My oldest started preschool feb 2009 at age 3. He is going 8am to 11am. My baby started going this may he is 3. In the fall. Oldest be going in the am and baby be goin in the pm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
foistela
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 10:46 AM

My oldest started at 3. My toddler will start in August 2012 and he will be 4 that November. 

Laceymay
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM

My son started daycare fron 11 months to 3 and the preschool program from 3 to 5 years

LoriAnn87
by LoriAnn on Jun. 23, 2011 at 12:01 PM

My son started when he turn 3. He goes 5 days a week for 2 hours.

Shelby72
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 8:12 AM

My little one is starting preschool this fall.  He is going to be four in August.  We have three and four year old classes, but they are more like first and second year, not necessarily by age.  He will go for two years before starting kindergarten.  I waited on him starting because of maturity and his speech.  He is a really bright kid, but I think behavior wise, it was a better choice to wait.

ddhb2007
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 8:50 AM

My daughter started at 2 1/2.  It was great for her since she's an only child.

MrsBoats08
by Member on Jun. 24, 2011 at 8:52 AM
2.5, they go to special needs preschool in the city schools
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbfcmom
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Did I say I look down on them? I believe I said the opposite actually, that I understand for those where it is necessary, such as working parents. In you situation it sounds like you are doing it for speech therapy. There are other ways to get speech therapy as well without them having to be out of the house and away from you for 7.5 hrs a week. If that is how you choose to do it, then great, that is your choice. Personally I chose to take my daughter to speach therapy where the therapist and I worked together with her for 2 hrs per week and then I had "homework" activities that I did with her the rest of the week. It was a very successful program and she progressed at a phenomenal rate. I was offerered a different program where she would attend at a local elementary school 3 mornings per week without my presence and I declined. I would have rather known exactly what they were working on and be a part of the process. With the other program I would have felt like it was out of my hands and somebody else was doing all the work for my child.

It is the same with her education. I firmly believe that young children get more out of having one-on-one time at home with a parent than in being in a room with an unrelated adult and many other kids. I know many SAHMs who are literally scraping up money to send their child to an expensive daycare 2 or 3 mornings per week because they feel they HAVE to, and if they can't afford it they feel guilty. That's what society has stated should happen now, but I stand by my statement that it is just a bunch of hype in my opinion and not necessary for SAHMs. It is a choice yes, but not a necessity by any means. There are tons of free resources for doing your own preschool curriculum at home, and it only takes a few minutes a day. They will be away from us soon enough when they start school (for those who don't choose homeschooling that is), so why rush it?

Quoting heartnhidin:

I have to disagree with you my son is attending pre-school to help his speech and is getting therapy there. He only goes 3 days a week for 2 and a half hours a day. It seems you look down on moms that send their children to pre-school

Quoting jbfcmom:

I'm sorry if I offend anybody, not meaning to, but my opinion is that the whole "preschool" thing for toddlers is a bunch of hype. It's still just daycare, they aren't getting anything there that they can't get at home even better. If moms have to work, then of course I understand, but I could never bring myself to pay for a stranger to watch my child while I sat at home. They will learn so much more in the smaller environment and one-on-one attention of home than they ever will in daycare. As far as social opportunities, it is very easy in this day and age to find local playgroups to join. Heck, I honestly think even just taking them to a public park with other kids around is enough at this age. My oldest didn't start until 4. In our state we have public preschool (3 hrs/day) that is free for those turning 4 before Sept 1. I took advantage of that because I thought it would make an easier transition for the 6.5 hr long days that kindergarten will be. If it weren't free though, I doubt I would have paid for anything...don't know.

sugarmomof3
by on Jun. 29, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Most PRESCHOOLS don't start til the age of 3-anything younger than that is DAYCARE where they might work on things with your child, but it isn't REALLY preschool! My 5yo dd started pre-k right before her 4th b-day, because she missed the cutoff by 6 days when she turned 3. She has high-functioning autism, and it has been very beneficial for her, as she does have problems with socialization and "appropriate" play with her peers. If she had not gone, I KNOW she would NOT be ready for kinder this fall, and she would have been held back a yr or put into D1 after kinder, which is what happened to ds when he was that age(so he is now 17.5 and entering 11th grade, instead of 12th-he will be 19 when he graduates). As her b-day is in the beginning of the yr, this would have happened to her too, but she would be almost 20 til she grads if she got held back. My 3yo will be starting Headstart in the fall, and she can't wait to go! She's been bugging me to go to school since her brother and sister started back last fall! Every child is different, though, and what works for one, might not work for another.

Oh, pre-k is half day for the 3-4 yo class(9-12:30) everyday, which is the same for Headstart-except they don't go on Wednesdays(don't know why), and 9-2 for the 4-5yo class, so by the time they get to kinder, which is 9-3:30, the time increases gradually, so it's not such a shock, esp for those kids who would still be napping when you send them of to kinder(yes, there are some), and suddenly they are super grumpy because there schedule is thrown waaaay off and they don't get their "rest/nap" time anymore.

aschwarz06
by on Jun. 29, 2011 at 12:40 AM
Mine will all start at 4 for actual preschool sure my kids have gone to daycare and learned shapes and colors and things but it wasn't preschool. Dd did head start at 4 and ds will start preschool at 4 this fall
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)