Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Would you say something?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:25 AM
  • 43 Replies

My 2 yr old DD can be pretty friendly and talkative when we are at the store.  Other times, she's shy and I can't get her to answer questions from people she knows.  

The other day we were at Lowe's and she was sitting in the cart.  I was right there with her and my husband was looking at some screen doors.  A male Lowe's employee walked up and started talking to my daughter.  (I've noticed that sales people tend to use this as a "get in good" tactic sometimes, so I figured that's what he was doing.)  Well, he not only talked to my daughter, but reached in and tickled her too.  He actually did this several times.  And with each time, I got more and more uncomfortable with it.  Had we been there much longer, I probably would have said something, or taken her to another aisle away from him. 

Do you feel like it's inappropriate for a sales person to touch and tickle your children?   

Would you have said something, or just walked away?

by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:29 AM

it depends on what and how he was talking with my son....i have had many starangers come up and talk with my son and do like the pilsbary dough boy tickle and i dont think anything about it really ...but if the talking was strange and tickling was in an area coved by a bathing suit then yes you bet i would step in and say something to him and his boss

shortmama83
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Yea, it wasn't necessarily inappropriate tickling or saying odd things.  Which is why I wonder if I was just being overly cautious or whatever.  But give it another couple of years and it would have been COMPLETELY inappropriate....so why isn't it now?  

Quoting KelliansMom:

it depends on what and how he was talking with my son....i have had many starangers come up and talk with my son and do like the pilsbary dough boy tickle and i dont think anything about it really ...but if the talking was strange and tickling was in an area coved by a bathing suit then yes you bet i would step in and say something to him and his boss

touchingstars
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:36 AM
Nah, people talk to my daughter all the time, i actually hold babies while im suppose to be working....only if they have a friendly baby who wants to see me...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhwrn1
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:38 AM

I would have said something. Sounds really uncomfortable to me and inappropriate.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jun. 22, 2011 at 9:02 AM

It would depend on how he was doing these things.

SoniaL
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM

This. People chat with and tickle my kids all the time.

Quoting .Angelica.:

It would depend on how he was doing these things.

http://leangreenmommy.wordpress.com/

ProudMommy51006
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:43 AM
People always come up and talk to my kids, but never once has anyone ever touched or tickled either one of them. I would feel very uncomfortable, as well. Especially since it's a man with a little girl, if it was a man with my son I don't know if it would bother me as much or a women with my daughter. But yes I would have said something, I would said something nicely to let him know that is inappropriate and to let her know that you will protect her personal space and it's ok for her to be verbal and protect her personal space also. Such as, we really aren't fond of tickles by strangers. Something simple and isn't rude but let's everyone know that's not ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I don't feel it's appropriate for anyone I don't know to touch my child.

Bmama1
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:57 AM
I dont know if i would have said something but thats just because i hardly talk in real life anyways but i definatly would have walked away. That would make me really uncomfortable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SmileyMoo
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I would have said something or walked away as well. That wouldn't sit well with me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)