Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 2 year olds gums are bleeding O_O

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:31 PM
  • 10 Replies

Before I go into the details....I KNOW that i wasn't taking as good of care of my sons teeth as I should have been and I take FUL responsibility for that before anyone tries to BASH me for it. I have been keeping up VERY well with his dental hygiene since his first dentist visit when we got the "diagnosis". 3 times a day i brush his teeth now AT LEAST and I carry spare toothbrushes and toothpaste in every car and diaper bag we have and in my purse in case he has something remotely sugary or anything to eat while we are out.

Okay....so the diagnosis was that his front 4 teeth basically had to have a baby root canal done on them and caps/crowns put on (again...i feel AWFUL)....and then his two back bottom teeth..or 4...had to have tiny fillings and then I had the doctor put sealants on all of the teeth he could to prevent any further issues.

He went in for his procedure with anesthesia and came out perfect. Teeth are amazing now and I plan to keep them that way. i can't believe i was sooooo stupid to let that happen to my childs teeth. SIGH....but whats done is done and we got them fixed....ANYWAY..... that was on monday of this week

i just went to brush his teeth before bed like usual and his front teeth are bleeding...like around the gums obviously.....this hasn't happened before and didn't even happen after the procedure....should i call the dentist in the morning???

by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_2_be_2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:32 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SmileyMoo
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:34 PM

This is normal babe. My daughter had dental surgery at age 2 and it just happens. Flossing helps and also, making sure you brush the GUMS will help keep them toughened up  so that they do not bleed. It's going to happen from time to time around those caps. Don't panic mama. Just make sure you floss them and brush them as normal. Even dip a qtip in mouth wash and rubbing down the gums will help a bit.

If it makes you feel any better. My daughter lost 2 teeth and had to have 5 fixed/crowned and root canals. Her enamel never developed properly over her back teeth.

PrissyKrissy05
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:34 PM
You may be brushing too much now? but yes, I would call the dentist in the morning to see what they say.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SmileyMoo
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:39 PM

This is true too. 3 times is fine but TOO much flouride/rubbing can also harm the enamel.  I would cut down on toothpaste except for morning evening.

Quoting PrissyKrissy05:

You may be brushing too much now? but yes, I would call the dentist in the morning to see what they say.

Mommy_Burge
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I never really considered that I could be brushing TOO much.....I'm just soooo paranoid that his teeth are going to get bad again :(

Quoting SmileyMoo:

This is true too. 3 times is fine but TOO much flouride/rubbing can also harm the enamel.  I would cut down on toothpaste except for morning evening.

Quoting PrissyKrissy05:

Mommy_Burge
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Oh that does make me feel better. LOL. I'm not the only one who's 2 year old had to go through dental surgery. SIGH....I felt like the worst mother in the world because of it! LOL

Quoting SmileyMoo:

This is normal babe. My daughter had dental surgery at age 2 and it just happens. Flossing helps and also, making sure you brush the GUMS will help keep them toughened up  so that they do not bleed. It's going to happen from time to time around those caps. Don't panic mama. Just make sure you floss them and brush them as normal. Even dip a qtip in mouth wash and rubbing down the gums will help a bit.

If it makes you feel any better. My daughter lost 2 teeth and had to have 5 fixed/crowned and root canals. Her enamel never developed properly over her back teeth.

SmileyMoo
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:42 PM

From my experience the gums will just occasionally bleed around those caps. Nothing you do will stop that. It just happens. I asked the pediatric dentist about it myself and was told that it's easy for those gums to become inflamed around them. The mouthwash will help too. I just dip the qtip in the wash and then rub it onto the gums

Quoting Mommy_Burge:

I never really considered that I could be brushing TOO much.....I'm just soooo paranoid that his teeth are going to get bad again :(

Quoting SmileyMoo:

Quoting PrissyKrissy05:

SmileyMoo
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Chances are it isn't even your fault. With my daughter, they have no idea WHY the enamel didn't come in on her back teeth. But because of the exposed dentin of the teeth, it caused problems with other teeth despite the fact we brushed twice a day.  Things just happen sometimes. It doesn't make you a horrible or bad mother!

Quoting Mommy_Burge:

Oh that does make me feel better. LOL. I'm not the only one who's 2 year old had to go through dental surgery. SIGH....I felt like the worst mother in the world because of it! LOL

Quoting SmileyMoo:

Mommy_Burge
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Thank you. I have been told that...that some kids teeth are just different and more susceptible to cavities and decay and stuff....just...poor kid has already gone througha  fractured leg, staph infection on his left knee that he had to have "surgery" for and then this whole dental thing....SIGH....he can't catch a break and I feel SOOOOOOO bad for him :(

And thanks for the tip about the mouthwash. Just a kids mouthwash huh? One without alcohol in it I'm guessing? lol

Quoting SmileyMoo:

Chances are it isn't even your fault. With my daughter, they have no idea WHY the enamel didn't come in on her back teeth. But because of the exposed dentin of the teeth, it caused problems with other teeth despite the fact we brushed twice a day.  Things just happen sometimes. It doesn't make you a horrible or bad mother!

Quoting Mommy_Burge:

Quoting SmileyMoo:

SmileyMoo
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 12:02 AM
The dentist suggested ACT for kids. Either way though, he won't be swallowing it. It is just rubbed on :)

Quoting Mommy_Burge:

Thank you. I have been told that...that some kids teeth are just different and more susceptible to cavities and decay and stuff....just...poor kid has already gone througha  fractured leg, staph infection on his left knee that he had to have "surgery" for and then this whole dental thing....SIGH....he can't catch a break and I feel SOOOOOOO bad for him :(

And thanks for the tip about the mouthwash. Just a kids mouthwash huh? One without alcohol in it I'm guessing? lol

Quoting SmileyMoo:

Quoting Mommy_Burge:

Quoting SmileyMoo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)