Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The dang pacifier!!!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:44 AM
  • 21 Replies
My 2 year old is addicted to the paci!! I take it away but he always either finds it or whines enough I stick it in his mouth. Lol. Yes,I am an enabler. He has a definite speech delay. He was 6 wks preemie and ,like I said, addicted to the paci.
Do any of you fine women have any advice or tips for me in getting rid of it for good? ??? Help!
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gcstar42
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:54 AM

My oldest had the night time paci until he was about 2 1/2 yrs old. I tried and tried to get him off of it and he just screamed all the time. Then someone suggested I cut the tip off and give it to him that way. So I did. He told me it was yucky and broken and theat he wanted another one. I told him that was the last paci we had and if he wanted it he had to have it like that. He kept trying it and tkaing it out and then after a few minutes he just laid down and held the paci in his hand and went to sleep. He did this for several nights and then just forgot all about it.

Kristenn
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:17 AM
The only way I can say to get rid of it is by tossing it. Just stop cold turkey, get rid of them, throw them away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steph925
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:37 AM
This for sure my kids never took the paci thank goodness for that but with the bottles we just did cold turkey after inrtoducing and sippy cups just throw the paci away

Quoting Kristenn:

The only way I can say to get rid of it is by tossing it. Just stop cold turkey, get rid of them, throw them away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zolanmel
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:46 AM
We threw it out and never went back....it was super hard for the first few weeks. But very well worth it.. she refused one after. She broke off of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zolanmel
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:47 AM
This is a big saftey hazard. I advice you to not cut the tips op.

Quoting gcstar42:

My oldest had the night time paci until he was about 2 1/2 yrs old. I tried and tried to get him off of it and he just screamed all the time. Then someone suggested I cut the tip off and give it to him that way. So I did. He told me it was yucky and broken and theat he wanted another one. I told him that was the last paci we had and if he wanted it he had to have it like that. He kept trying it and tkaing it out and then after a few minutes he just laid down and held the paci in his hand and went to sleep. He did this for several nights and then just forgot all about it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jerrrrica
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:51 AM

I cut the tips of my DD's also. She hated it. She would tell me they were broke so I told her to throw them in the garbage -making sure SHE did it not me.. She would ask about it when she would have a nap and at bedtime but only for a few days. Good Luck!!

bhwrn1
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:01 AM

I just took them away and never looked back. My oldest used one, he never even flinched. My middle and LO never really used one. I have heard: binky fairy takes them to other kids, cutting off the tip, cold turkey.

crystal626rose
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:49 AM

I have learned that kids can give things up way better than we think lol. With my oldest ( only paci addict ) We made a little sack for the paci fairy ! Every night we would put a paci in the bag and  she would take it  ,on the very last night (last paci ) she left him a present for being so nice and giving his paci's to her lol. It seems kinda cheesy now ,but it worked out for us so whatever haha!

-mrs.mamma-
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:03 AM

you just gotta throw 'em out. it might be tough, but you just gotta stick it out.

19babygirl90
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:22 AM
Sadly, my oldest was so addicted to the paci till 6mon (2 1/2 now)! He was broken from the paci cuz he ended up in the hospital and everytime the poked with a needle they shoved his paci in his mouth! After that he never wanted to take one! My poor baby! But Im rly glad you posted cuz my youngest (2mon) is absolutely addicted so far! Lol! And I have no idea when or how Im goin to take his paci but I know Ive got awhile to think bout it! Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)