Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Old is Too Young?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:25 AM
  • 34 Replies

From The Stir:

A 4-Year-Old Is Too Young to Email

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham
on June 28, 2011 at 11:52 AM

As we get further and further addicted to technology, our children are often coming along for the ride. I know very few 4-year-olds whose parents who have an iPhone who cannot already use their tiny fingers to manipulate and navigate the screen. My daughter has been using my iPhone adeptly since she was 2 and now her almost 3-year-old brother is doing the same.

My daughter also plays computer games and is able to type, and I am supportive of most of these things, but when it comes to email, I have to draw the line. Recently Miss Manners was asked about a 4-year-old who was learning to read and write and who had an email account. What seemed like a benign question about manners and not wanting to receive email from a 4-year-old was actually a bit more complicated.

Should a 4-year-old have an email address at all?

In a word: No. A 4-year-old should be reading and playing and practicing writing their letters by hand. I wrote a check the other day and felt that I had nearly forgotten how to use a pen because I spend so much time on the computer. It's imperative that children still get these skills, so why the rush to typing?

Personally, I am thrilled by my daughter learning to write and less thrilled by her learning to type. It seems like she needs both. So, yes, a 4-year-old is too young to be emailing.

I could see having a highly monitored email account for her when she is 6 or 7. Maybe. But at 4, she is still learning the basics. She will likely spend the great majority of her life in front of a computer (unless she has some other kind of job), so I am in no hurry to shove her in front of one any time soon.

Once she has the basics of reading and writing down and has people she wants to email, maybe even a friend or two who has one of their own, we can revisit it. Until then, if you want to talk to my daughter, call me or email me. I will make sure she sees it!

Do you think a 4-year-old is too young to email?

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmama1
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:27 AM
Yeah i think 4 is too young!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maries_Mom23
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Four is way too young.

2and2onway
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:32 AM

My twins may be able to work the Wii to look for a show and turn it on and play a DS, but neither can work a mouse or computer game. I have never let them on one. They will learn in time, but to me 4 is way to young.

mimismomma123
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:35 AM
my 4 year old Types also i let her on my facebook so she can talk to her family from other states w me sittn next to her i thnk its a good thing to know she knows how to get on nickjr and stuff by her self but havn an email thats to much
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crystal626rose
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:42 AM

4 is just too young . We are going to lose person to person communication way too  soon if all this computer stuff continues to get in the way :( 

MommyMays
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:50 AM

MY DD is 2. She can navigate an iPhone, iPad, computer, Playstation, and XBox. She is starting to read, but not write, so I would be thrilled about her typing so she can learn another form of communication. I wouldn't mind her using an email, but I would always be on it with her, and know exactly what she is doing at all times.

I am an attachment parenting, co-bathing, sometimes co-sleeping, kiss on the lips, soon to be homeschooling, strong believer in early intervention, lead by example, know my place as a woman, go to church, get involved, teenage stay at home kind of Mom who is married to the man of my dreams and has one Super Cool Toddler and one Little Angel In Heaven.

Fireyfencer
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:59 AM

4 is a bit young.  My 8 year old however has had one for two years because his 1st grade teacher instisted that all students have one and complete some of their assignments by computer and turn them in over email.  I think I was very ticked off about that age needing one still am!

-mrs.mamma-
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:01 AM

way too young.

redneckangel24
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:03 AM
Yes I do! They need to learn to read a write first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiebug840204
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:04 AM
Way too young!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)