Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you break a thumb sucker?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:46 PM
  • 19 Replies
With out the liquid you paint on their fingers (as every one has alcohol in it.)???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:19 PM

not a clue. my son didn't do this.

Live4Family
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:21 PM

My 3 1/2 year old daughter sucks her thumb at night & when she is tired. I don't plan on trying to break it. I don't see any harm in it. She looks pretty cute while doing it :)

href="http://www.weddingcountdown.com">
wedding website

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
momoftwins_2
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:21 PM

idk i think thumbs are much better than pacifiers. I had a girl in my 5th grade class that sucked her thumb. The teacher would just remind her not to do it when she caught her

zolanmel
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:23 PM
I much rather have a paci then thumb but she refuses pacis. Her poor teeth are already crooked and bucking out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenSAHM2
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:26 PM

I don't think there really is a good way.  Maybe tell her that she can only have her nails painted with pretty stickers too if she keeps her thumb out.  I don't think its a big deal until they are like 4 or 5 with teeth issues.  Maybe your doctor might have some advice.  I have a thumbsucker too.  Don't know what Im gonna do. lol.

zolanmel
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:28 PM
Her teeth are being affected.. she's 2 ad 1/2 ..

Quoting JenSAHM2:

I don't think there really is a good way.  Maybe tell her that she can only have her nails painted with pretty stickers too if she keeps her thumb out.  I don't think its a big deal until they are like 4 or 5 with teeth issues.  Maybe your doctor might have some advice.  I have a thumbsucker too.  Don't know what Im gonna do. lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dina6742
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:30 PM
Some website and dr offices have thumb guards plastic pieces that wrap around the thumb to discorage sucking (the kids kinda look like lobsters) the kid in ny class actually figured out how to get her thumb out. Another family used medical tape and taped the kids thumb to her hand (we weren't allowed to retaped) which worked but wasn't hyginic
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zolanmel
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:32 PM
We had a arm bracey thing they used when she had a feeding tube placed but she fiqured out how to get it off. She's to smart for her own good. Yet at the same time she's still a bit delayed.

Quoting Dina6742:

Some website and dr offices have thumb guards plastic pieces that wrap around the thumb to discorage sucking (the kids kinda look like lobsters) the kid in ny class actually figured out how to get her thumb out. Another family used medical tape and taped the kids thumb to her hand (we weren't allowed to retaped) which worked but wasn't hyginic
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenSAHM2
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Well then I would definitly talk to the doctor about what to do.  Maybe I should do the same at my girls next checkup.

Quoting zolanmel:

Her teeth are being affected.. she's 2 ad 1/2 ..

Quoting JenSAHM2:

in lovetoddler boytoddler girl

militarywife09
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:35 PM
Idk... I'm 20 and still suck my thumb, and my 4 y/o does too. :O
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)