Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 3 yr old sleeps horrible

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:49 PM
  • 23 Replies
My 3 year old daughter Cheyenne sleeps horribly at night. She will wake up 3 sometimes 4 times a night wanting another cup of milk. I am wondering is she waking up hungry or is she just waking up because she knows I will give her more milk? She eats good before bed so I'm not sure what else to do. Any ideas or suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momoftwins_2
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:56 PM

ok what i do for my girls that just turned 4 (and have been doing for years) is they can have milk/water whatever with dinner. Then after that its no more drinks. I make sure to tell them every night, thats it, or they will wake up asking for something. So right before bed I give them 1 gulp of water. I mainly dont want them to pee the bed, but i also dont want to be getting up 5 times per night to cater to their "needs" (i do that enough with my 5 month old). I tell them "ok no more drinks, you dont need to call for me now". Idk. it works for us.

cheybugs08
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:15 AM
Thank you I will try this tonight!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zolanmel
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:36 AM
Does she have any sleep disorders or reflux?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cheybugs08
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 1:15 AM
No she doesn't. Most parents always say their children sleep all night and I think wow I bet that's nice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2and2onway
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 3:47 AM

If she still naps, take the nap away.

ashwa
by Member on Jul. 9, 2011 at 3:52 AM
Mine has a BAD problem initially falling asleep. The she sometimes wakes up for milk once a night if that. I just wish it wasn't such a fight to get her to fall asleep. It's a four hour long fight each night at least!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caitlynevansmom
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:25 AM
Don't do this. It doesn't work. It makes things worse! The majority of kids out there still need naps. If she is napping DON'T take them away. My DS is 3 1/2 and he refuses to nap even though he NEEDS them. His sleep is being affected and he is sleeping less and less. If you aren't night training, give your DD a sippy cup of water by her bed every night. She likely misses you and doesn't know how to go back to sleep without milk or you. She has to learn to fall back to sleep on her own. My kids have clocks that are yellow during the night and turn green when it's time to wake up. Some parents put a night light on a timer that turns on or off to indicate wake up time. You have to train your child to go back to sleep until night light turns off/on.

Quoting 2and2onway:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I wish I had some advice for you. I got lucky and have a child who sleeps great. Hope you can figure something out.

cheybugs08
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 11:24 AM
She actually hasn't been taking naps so maybe I should get her back to that especially with preschool coming up. Also with her waking so much like she does she will sometimes sleep in til 10 am some days, maybe I should start waking her up and doing a nap plus an earlier bedtime?

Quoting caitlynevansmom:

Don't do this. It doesn't work. It makes things worse! The majority of kids out there still need naps. If she is napping DON'T take them away. My DS is 3 1/2 and he refuses to nap even though he NEEDS them. His sleep is being affected and he is sleeping less and less. If you aren't night training, give your DD a sippy cup of water by her bed every night. She likely misses you and doesn't know how to go back to sleep without milk or you. She has to learn to fall back to sleep on her own. My kids have clocks that are yellow during the night and turn green when it's time to wake up. Some parents put a night light on a timer that turns on or off to indicate wake up time. You have to train your child to go back to sleep until night light turns off/on.

Quoting 2and2onway:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cheybugs08
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 11:25 AM
Thanks ladies, I hope I can figure this out! SOON!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)