Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Does your child REALLY need preschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

I can't afford to put my daughter in preschool and I can't ask family members for money.I have been trying to work with her on my own and she interacts with children her age too.She is very social with them and plays well.If I can't afford to send her to preschool is that bad?? She will start school  the following sept and they have a summer preschool program I was going to put her in right before school. I'm just really worried that if I don't put her in some kind of program now she will be behind when she starts kindergarden. What should I do??

by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
BzMama44
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 5:43 PM

kindergarten teacher here!....kids need some type of instruction before entering kindergarten or yes they will be behind other students. this doesnt necessarily mean she has to go to a preschool but she should be instructed by someone to provide her with all the readiness skills for kindergarten. verbally providing all the letters of the alphabet, recognizing all the letters, knowing all the sounds of the letters, counting to 20, shapes, colors, writing her name, social skills, even reading simple sentences, and completing simple addition and subtraction problems (give and take away). you can google kindergarten readiness and get a lot of ideas for preparing your child for kindergarten without sending her to a preschool...headstart may be a great idea for you though.  

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jul. 21, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Nope. I don't plan to put my kids in preschool. I come from a familiy of 6 kids and only my oldest brother went to preschool. We all did just fine!

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jul. 21, 2011 at 5:49 PM

My 3 year old can do all of that except the addition and subtraction. He doesn't like numbers. But he's already starting to read. he won't start kindergarten til he is almost 6 so I'm positive the math will be learned before then no problem. And no preschool here. Just what I've taught him.

Quoting BzMama44:

kindergarten teacher here!....kids need some type of instruction before entering kindergarten or yes they will be behind other students. this doesnt necessarily mean she has to go to a preschool but she should be instructed by someone to provide her with all the readiness skills for kindergarten. verbally providing all the letters of the alphabet, recognizing all the letters, knowing all the sounds of the letters, counting to 20, shapes, colors, writing her name, social skills, even reading simple sentences, and completing simple addition and subtraction problems (give and take away). you can google kindergarten readiness and get a lot of ideas for preparing your child for kindergarten without sending her to a preschool...headstart may be a great idea for you though.  

Jennifer992
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 5:57 PM

She will be fine with out it for sure, but you might at least see if there are some options out there for her.  My state has a child care assistance program for parents who can't afford it, although I think the parents have to work to qualify.  There are also a couple pretty good "mother's morning out" programs at local churches that are just a few hours a week.  We also have some part time preschools that go from 8:30-11:30 just to get the kids used to being away daily and being in a classroom setting.  They are considerably cheaper than a full day of pre-K.

LKRA
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 5:58 PM

No, a child does not NEED preschool. As long as they SOMEHOW get everything they need to be ready for kindergarten.

Silver_Nova2082
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 5:59 PM

i cant wait to put my l/o in school he needs friends hes an only child

mom2cindylouwho
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM
I don't think they NEED it ... But our DD will be going (our Army base has it for free).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LKRA
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Bullshit. Kindergarteners (did I spell that right? lol) need to be able to READ??!?!!??!

Oh, how times have changed! It breaks my heart to think of what we expect of small children.

Quoting BzMama44:

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I knew how to read in kindergarten (well before actually) but I was one of TWO kids in the class who knew how.

Quoting LKRA:

Bullshit. Kindergarteners (did I spell that right? lol) need to be able to READ??!?!!??!

Oh, how times have changed! It breaks my heart to think of what we expect of small children.

Quoting BzMama44:

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM

I don't think they need it. If I were a SAHM, my children would not go to pre-school. I would more than likely teach the stuff I think they need to know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)