Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Does your child REALLY need preschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

I can't afford to put my daughter in preschool and I can't ask family members for money.I have been trying to work with her on my own and she interacts with children her age too.She is very social with them and plays well.If I can't afford to send her to preschool is that bad?? She will start school  the following sept and they have a summer preschool program I was going to put her in right before school. I'm just really worried that if I don't put her in some kind of program now she will be behind when she starts kindergarden. What should I do??

by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM
Replies (161-168):
TikkiNippets
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 12:44 PM

my daughter because she is devolopmentally behind and they have done wonders with her being able to talk. but for a normal kid I dont think they need it.

loveaandj
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 1:08 PM

its not hard to do it at home and no its not bad if u cant send her i am in the same boat ... dd went to 2 yrs of preschool b-4 kindergarten .. and ds went last year and his teacher whom i have know for 7 years left and went to another preschool program and i couldnt get him in .. his program from last year was a free progrm and i was not about to send him without my friend being there i know too much of the innerworking crap of that place to leave him with good conscience without my friend there so that said i cant afford to send him to preschool this yr even the half day ones are 50 a week and i cant afford another 200 a month

so that said im teaching him at home this year you can find quidelines for what they need to know online ...  

mrspippin07
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Its not a MUST but it helps them alot. I'm thinking about enrolling my daughter in headstart which she can really use to keep up with her learning. She's been on My Baby Can Read videos and at home learning too so she knows alot now. If you cant/dont have the time for it(ie: work alot, etc) they'll help them NOT fall behind thats for sure :) hope this helps

k_hall1784
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 1:22 PM
No, they don't need pre-k. My dd will start kindergarten next week and never did it. She apparently didn't need it either because she knows a ton.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jonathanmomma
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 1:30 PM
I don't think they need it my ds is in but its because I need to work if I could stay home he wouldn't be... I didn't go to pre-k my mom taught me at home and I did wonderful in school my first week of first grade I got skipped into second because I was very advanced ... I think as long as you work with your child you can teach them just as much if not more than a preschool because its one on one teach shapes colors simple math like adding 4 blocks plus 2 blocks have put them in front so they can count them like put 4 down then after she counts knows it 4 put 2 more and add ya know also work on reading and get some workbooks to help you along
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xRockaBrittanyx
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I dunno about needing it or not, but..

If you can't afford preschool, why not see if you apply for head start?

KnitWit0686
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 1:53 PM

I wouldn't have put my oldest in preschool if he didn't need speech therapy, which they offer at his preschool. My youngest doesn't need to go to preschool, but I think i may put him in anyway because he really wants to go with his brother...so we may put him in anyway....but that all depends. 

AnGLInterrupted
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 2:03 PM

IMO yes.  Not only is my DD learning things that she wouldn't at home [not because I'm not teaching her, but because it's more structured at school, and she's copying the other kids], but she's also getting the social interaction that she needs.  I am not her peer, and she needs other kids to be around on a daily basis.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)