Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Does your child REALLY need preschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

I can't afford to put my daughter in preschool and I can't ask family members for money.I have been trying to work with her on my own and she interacts with children her age too.She is very social with them and plays well.If I can't afford to send her to preschool is that bad?? She will start school  the following sept and they have a summer preschool program I was going to put her in right before school. I'm just really worried that if I don't put her in some kind of program now she will be behind when she starts kindergarden. What should I do??

by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM
Replies (21-30):
2boysmommy.js
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 7:23 PM
yes they want them reading 5 word sentances, know their address phone num, mommy and daddys full names and phone numbs... Which is impossiable for a child like mine who has speech delays... They are setting him up for failure before school even starts
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amy1973Potts
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 7:45 PM
Not necessary. Preschools and what tjey offee socially and academically vary widely. Look online to see what the common requirements are for kindergarten skills (must be able to use scissors, be potty trained, be able to speak 5-6 word sentences and identify rhyming words, knows their colors, count to ten, etc). If you can handle rhat at home and they are already socialized and can play well with other children andcan sit still for a story, don't feel you are depriving them.

Another poster said preschool is glorified daycare and unless you are paying thru the nose for some kind of program that guarantees results, its group babysitting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ness_uh_0630
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 7:51 PM

i believe preschool i very beneficial public preschools are free and offer the interaction with kids own ages and are kindergarten prep they are WONDERFUL

PeaceMuch
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Quoting millasmum:

I don't think children need preschool, or it would be required. You could check out Headstart in your area if you are really worried, they go by income and help people financially.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BzMama44
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM

this is DEFINATELY NOT TRUE! unless you go to some crappy preschool. any decent preschool this is not the case.

Quoting aviatioNation:

Pre-school is nothing more than glorified daycare.

nf1
by Nina on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM
No,it's not
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BzMama44
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:25 PM

thats AWESOME! you wouldn't believe how some children come to kindergarten so unprepared. they cannot even say their alphabet. some parents do not think it is their responsibility to teach their children anything at all. they believe that is what a teacher is for. this mindset really hurts the child and sets them far back in comparison to their peers. if a parent does nothing else, at least read to your children every day. like i said i do not think preschool is absolutely necessary, but a parent should then take responsibility to teach their own children to prepare them for kindergarten. from birth to age 5 (kindergarten age) children have the ability to absorb so much knowledge. it is really a shame if this opportunity is missed. so i say awesome mama! that's really great your child will be ready for kindergarten. you have given him a great start!

Quoting .Angelica.:

My 3 year old can do all of that except the addition and subtraction. He doesn't like numbers. But he's already starting to read. he won't start kindergarten til he is almost 6 so I'm positive the math will be learned before then no problem. And no preschool here. Just what I've taught him.

Quoting BzMama44:

kindergarten teacher here!....kids need some type of instruction before entering kindergarten or yes they will be behind other students. this doesnt necessarily mean she has to go to a preschool but she should be instructed by someone to provide her with all the readiness skills for kindergarten. verbally providing all the letters of the alphabet, recognizing all the letters, knowing all the sounds of the letters, counting to 20, shapes, colors, writing her name, social skills, even reading simple sentences, and completing simple addition and subtraction problems (give and take away). you can google kindergarten readiness and get a lot of ideas for preparing your child for kindergarten without sending her to a preschool...headstart may be a great idea for you though.  

JessLU434
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I dont think that is bad at all. I totally understand. We can't afford it either; plus it's only half days and we work all day. I am preparing my daughter much as possible as well. Dont worry

thebailiffs
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:30 PM
I would go to your local school and ask them about the school preschool, many of them are cheap to free if you help out.

I strongly feel it is a good idea for all kids to attend some type of preschool.
BzMama44
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:31 PM

no no no! it is sad to think that we expect so little of our children when they are capable of so much! do not sell your child short! early literacy skills are imperative to future success. I am not saying at all that children who cannot read in kindergarten will forever be behind, but many children already have literacy skills before they enter kindergarten. this is very different from when i grew up but research has shown that we are severely limiting our children if we do not expose them to literature before kindergarten. it can be as simple as reading to your child every day, talking about words and pictures, labeling their items, and exploring writing their names or just letters. you do not have to make it like a classroom setting. just take opportunities throughout the day to foster learning.   

Quoting LKRA:

Bullshit. Kindergarteners (did I spell that right? lol) need to be able to READ??!?!!??!

Oh, how times have changed! It breaks my heart to think of what we expect of small children.

Quoting BzMama44:

kindergarten teacher here!....kids need some type of instruction before entering kindergarten or yes they will be behind other students. this doesnt necessarily mean she has to go to a preschool but she should be instructed by someone to provide her with all the readiness skills for kindergarten. verbally providing all the letters of the alphabet, recognizing all the letters, knowing all the sounds of the letters, counting to 20, shapes, colors, writing her name, social skills, even reading simple sentences, and completing simple addition and subtraction problems (give and take away). you can google kindergarten readiness and get a lot of ideas for preparing your child for kindergarten without sending her to a preschool...headstart may be a great idea for you though.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN