Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Does your child REALLY need preschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

I can't afford to put my daughter in preschool and I can't ask family members for money.I have been trying to work with her on my own and she interacts with children her age too.She is very social with them and plays well.If I can't afford to send her to preschool is that bad?? She will start school  the following sept and they have a summer preschool program I was going to put her in right before school. I'm just really worried that if I don't put her in some kind of program now she will be behind when she starts kindergarden. What should I do??

by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM
Replies (31-40):
momofemy
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:33 PM

I wouldn't worry.  Many kids don't go to preschool and from what I hear can catch up soon after starting school.  I think social skills are important, but you don't have to be around 5-15 kids every day to learn social skills.  My daughter has always been in preschool or daycare.  I envy your being able to stay home with your daughter and think the time with you will benefit her just as much as preschool, if maybe in a different way. 

BzMama44
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:38 PM

i hope you (orginal poster) are not mis-understanding any of my comments. basically i was just saying that preschool is not completely necessary as long as she is getting the readiness skills for kindergarten in some way. all of the things a child needs to know for kindergarten you can teach her yourself. there are a lot of resources online to guide you if you want to teach her yourself or set up a fun little program at home. children learn through play at a young age so a lot of what you find can be done during play or daily interactions. hope i was helpful. if you need any ideas i would love to help. do not stress too much about it. just be proactive that's all. : )

Kris_PBG
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Need?  No - there are really very few needs when it comes to raising children.

I think it is highly beneficial, but is clearly not a "need".

I think it is great you can at least put her in right before school - but have you checked out your local head start?

gcstar42
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Nope. A lot of kids dont go to preschool. If you are working with her at home and if she has plenty of interaction with other kids then there is really no need for it. You can buy preschool workbooks or go online and find preschool activities that would be similar to what she would do in a preschool class. It is definately not something to make yourself go broke over.

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:45 PM
I don't think preschool is needed. My ds is goibg bc he has speech problems and so its free. I wouldn't send him if his speech was better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovexzavier
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I'm all for preschool, but if you don't have the money then you don't have the money. Just work with her on things at home...she'll be ok.

mommy053008
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:51 PM
I think ot depends.on the parenting I.like preschool for my kids but its not for everyone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Thanks. Even if he was in preschool I would still feel that it was my job to teach him along with going to school. I sometimes feel bad that I haven't taught him more. lol But he just LOVES letters and reading (he doesn't like numbers so much) So he's been pretty easy to teach.

Quoting BzMama44:

thats AWESOME! you wouldn't believe how some children come to kindergarten so unprepared. they cannot even say their alphabet. some parents do not think it is their responsibility to teach their children anything at all. they believe that is what a teacher is for. this mindset really hurts the child and sets them far back in comparison to their peers. if a parent does nothing else, at least read to your children every day. like i said i do not think preschool is absolutely necessary, but a parent should then take responsibility to teach their own children to prepare them for kindergarten. from birth to age 5 (kindergarten age) children have the ability to absorb so much knowledge. it is really a shame if this opportunity is missed. so i say awesome mama! that's really great your child will be ready for kindergarten. you have given him a great start!

Quoting .Angelica.:

My 3 year old can do all of that except the addition and subtraction. He doesn't like numbers. But he's already starting to read. he won't start kindergarten til he is almost 6 so I'm positive the math will be learned before then no problem. And no preschool here. Just what I've taught him.

Quoting BzMama44:

kindergarten teacher here!....kids need some type of instruction before entering kindergarten or yes they will be behind other students. this doesnt necessarily mean she has to go to a preschool but she should be instructed by someone to provide her with all the readiness skills for kindergarten. verbally providing all the letters of the alphabet, recognizing all the letters, knowing all the sounds of the letters, counting to 20, shapes, colors, writing her name, social skills, even reading simple sentences, and completing simple addition and subtraction problems (give and take away). you can google kindergarten readiness and get a lot of ideas for preparing your child for kindergarten without sending her to a preschool...headstart may be a great idea for you though.  

LoriAnn87
by LoriAnn on Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM

No they don't really need it but I send my son because of him having problems with his speech. My son goes to a special ed preschool in one our elemtray school and I'm really glad he goes. He is learning so much, becoming more social and his speech has imporved so much.,

SoniaL
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:24 PM

In one word, no.  Children do NOT need preschool.  If you can afford it and want to send them, fine. But they will in NO way be behind for not going. I choose not to send my kids to preschool and they do very well. Inevitably someone in here will tell you their mom or aunt or they are  a teacher and they can tell the kids who have not gone to preschool and they are behind. Don't buy it. Not true.  There really isn't anything there that you can't do at home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)