Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Does your child REALLY need preschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

I can't afford to put my daughter in preschool and I can't ask family members for money.I have been trying to work with her on my own and she interacts with children her age too.She is very social with them and plays well.If I can't afford to send her to preschool is that bad?? She will start school  the following sept and they have a summer preschool program I was going to put her in right before school. I'm just really worried that if I don't put her in some kind of program now she will be behind when she starts kindergarden. What should I do??

by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM
Replies (41-50):
camy41075
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:29 PM

I paid for my two oldest to go to Preschool and I was not going to do it w/ my youngest. They did not learn much I taught them more than they leared the 6 hours a week at school it was more for social time. But my youngest has speech issues from a rough delivery so he was able to go to the public school Preschool and I could not be more pleased. He is 3 and he won an award this past school year for being the youngest to count to 100. He can say all his colors and he is begining to know his letters and he does know all his shapes.

I think it depends on the child tho. Good luck

MDWife12
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:31 PM

You can always ask the school if they do scholarships or something along those lines, thats how I was able to afford preschool for my kids. There is also the option of the Head Start program which I believe is free, not 100% sure though I have never used it. But in all honesty, don't beat your self up over not sending your kid to preschool, there are plenty of kids that don't go to preschool and survive just fine in Kindergarten :)

babowes
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:41 PM
You can do it all at home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samsmom273
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Quoting BzMama44:

i hope you (orginal poster) are not mis-understanding any of my comments. basically i was just saying that preschool is not completely necessary as long as she is getting the readiness skills for kindergarten in some way. all of the things a child needs to know for kindergarten you can teach her yourself. there are a lot of resources online to guide you if you want to teach her yourself or set up a fun little program at home. children learn through play at a young age so a lot of what you find can be done during play or daily interactions. hope i was helpful. if you need any ideas i would love to help. do not stress too much about it. just be proactive that's all. : )

No you were very helpful!.Thank you for letting me know what they need to know before kindergarden.She just turned 4 june 28 and I have been trying to work with her a little at a time.She gets frustrated with me and says I don't want to do this.But I try to make it fun for her.If you have any suggestions on what to start out with just let me know.She knows colors,shapes,her abcs, 1-10 so far.But we are working on recognizing them.I'm going to try and set up my own preschool for her, and just have her play with other kids when we go places.

Samsmom273
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Thank you everyone for all of your comments! Such a supportive group of women!you rock

emarin77
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:08 PM

If your daughter is able to play with other kids her own age on a reguler basis and does not have any learning or physical disabilities then it is ok for her not to go to pre-school.  If she does have a learning disability have her screened for free and she can go to pre-school for free if she has a diagnosis.

slayerslegacy
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 1:41 AM

My son is 3 1/2 and is just as capable and knows the same things without going to preschool. He has learned all of those things at home. The only thing he doesn't know is the Spanish. He has been learning Italian.

I think kids need to go to preschool if the parents can't or don't want to teach them, for whatever reason. Life tends to get in the way. I know it can be hard to get kids to pay attention, which is why you have to get creative and incorporate all of these things into play and fun activities.

I definitely agree that it's a "to each, their own" kind of thing. Only you know what you and your child are capable of and whether they would benefit more from school.

Quoting HeatherSumowski:

To each their own when it comes to preschool.  Personally I couldn't imagine not having my DD in preschool.  My SS went through headstart and it was OK.  My DD has gone to KinderCare and I have LOVED it.  She is 3 1/2 now and her vocabulary is fantastic, her social skills are excellent, she has problem solving skills, and she is starting to read.  She also knows all of her colors, animals, shapes, numbers, and can count to 30 in both english and spanish.  I couldn't imagine not having her in Kindercare but it is super expensive.  We have given up a lot to put her in there. 

aj23
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 2:09 AM

It isn't necessary if you work with your DD.
My son isn't around kids his age often and when he is its all girls so I think he needs to go.
My state has a PreK program where its free for all 4 year olds(regardless of income) and they also have Head Start so pretty much everyone who wants to do preschool gets to.

AshBash0608
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 2:13 AM

I don't think it's necessary. I didn't put Chris in pre-k. but here, where I live, you have to be low income to be able to get your kid in pre-k. I don't really understand why not being rich means your kid is stupid. it really pissed me off!!

Anyways, I think it would have helped for a few things, but I think Chris will be just fine.

YuppyMom
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 2:14 AM

Do you feel the same way about kindergarten? 

Quoting millasmum:

I don't think children need preschool, or it would be required. You could check out Headstart in your area if you are really worried, they go by income and help people financially.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN