Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Poll on how you handle sharing in your house

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:55 PM
  • 31 Replies

Poll

Question: How do you handle sharing in your family?

Options:

I physically take toys away from one child to give to another

I try and talk them through sharing/taking turns, without actually making them share

I make them take turns and maybe even use a timer

I let them fight it out as long as they aren't hurting one another

Other... explain!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 63

View Results

by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by Angie on Aug. 8, 2011 at 3:16 PM

well my son is an only right now. But when I baby sit my niece who is only 3 weeks older than him and he doesn't want to share. I first talk to him about why we need to share and give him and her both a warning (because he's not the only one not wanting to share) that if they can't share, the toy will be put away. If they still fight over it, I take the toy and put it up some where.

JillAnne82
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 3:21 PM

When one is playing with a toy its their turn until they put it down. Once they put it down their turn is over and the next child to pick it up its their turn until they put it down. Of course this is within reason if one child is purposely not putting it down and kind of being a turkey about it then we go to a timer method.

Kristenn
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 3:34 PM
I do this. Removal of toys works well! Lol.

Quoting .Angelica.:

well my son is an only right now. But when I baby sit my niece who is only 3 weeks older than him and he doesn't want to share. I first talk to him about why we need to share and give him and her both a warning (because he's not the only one not wanting to share) that if they can't share, the toy will be put away. If they still fight over it, I take the toy and put it up some where.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AHmom103
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I usually make them take turns, but Hannah isn't really old enough to understand that yet, so a lot of times Ashley's turn comes when Hannah is in bed, because she takes really long naps. When my niece is over, I tend to let her and Ashley fight it out because they are only 1 year apart, and it generally doesn't take long before both of them lose interest in what they were fighting over.

Bmama1
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM
Well my oldest is 2 and the twins are only 4 months so i haven't had this problem yet but when i do, i'll try to make them share as much as possible, if they cant play with it together, i'll use a timer. If they still fight over it, i'll take the toy away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 5:30 PM

If there is a popular toy on the playground and my son has it first, I at least let him have a few minutes with it!  If its something that two people can play with at the same time, like a center, I ask Caden to see if the other child would like to play.

Otherwise, I give my son a few minutes to play with the toy, and then I "distract" him with another one.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2011 at 5:12 AM

they share/take turns or no one gets to play with it

bhwrn1
by on Aug. 9, 2011 at 5:52 AM

I talk them through it. If they don't share, the toy goes bye bye.

Sweetcollegemom
by on Aug. 9, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I picked other. In my house most toys are generally for everyone. The kids do have certain toys that they choose to share or not. In that case, however, they cannot touch someone else's personal toy either if they choose not to share. If one of the kids takes a toy from another one, I have them give it back. I explain they can pick another toy and wait their turn. Sharing is a real issue with my 3yr old. Since they will be going to daycare in a setting where sharing is necessary, he needs to learn to share.

Diana, proud girlfriend of an LEO

TruthSeeker.
by on Aug. 9, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I don't Always make them share, because I don't think they always should share. I do remind them of the consequences of not sharing and encourage them to share.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)