Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 y/o picking up on 4 y/o speech problem?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:15 AM
  • 10 Replies

Right now my son, who's 4, is in speech therapy. He's had a problem for a while, and we tried to work him through it on our own, but it didn't help. Lately, my daughter, who is 2, has been saying incorrect letters like my son does. K comes out as T. L comes out as D, ya'll ge the point.

Should I just try and correct her- doing the same stuff we do for our son? Sit her down and work on letters? Or just encourage the correct termage but not push her?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blissfulmama80
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:27 AM

At the age of two I would not be worried at all.  It is very normal for children that age to have issues pronouncing words.  My cousin said her "K" as a "T" for a long time.  She speaks fine now.  If by four or so your daughter is still not saying the words right you could ask about it... but I still wouldn't be too worried.  My 3 1/2 year old still has issues with some words/sounds.  But I'm not worried because as she gets older and talks more and more (she never shuts up!!  LOL) she is getting better and better.

When you hear that your daughter mispronounces a word such as "I have a rock in my potet!" you could just say "You have a rock in your pocket?  That's silly!".  So that she hears the correct way.

MommaSiete
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:34 AM

I wouldn't push it but I would definitely be correcting her when she does it. Language is easily passed on, even 'speech problems'. 

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:34 AM
Let it be for now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:41 AM
Don't push it or point it out. If she says: tat. You say: yes, I see that CAT.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dqsmami06
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:42 AM

I have the same issue right now. My son is 4 his lil bro is 2. I do however correct him, trust me...it helps! Other than that I'm not pushing him about it. Just correct him and they'll both catch on!

KittyNat
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:38 AM

i would ask the older one's speech therapist for an opinion. chances are, she is just copying and will grow out of it as she is exposed to more people and the way they talk, but it would warrant consulting an expert just to be safe in my opinion.

ClaribelC
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:34 AM
For your peace of mind,contact the education department they have a division called early intervention program and ask for an evaluation . Is FREE and they will tell u if u need to go to therapy w ur other son!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2and2onway
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:36 AM

I wouldnt push it, but when you speak back say it correctly. Are you sure she is copying or does she have the same issues?

Samanthamommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd say I'm 90% because when I have sat down and asked her to say kkkkAT (since it's the K sound) - she can. It takes time, but she can. My son's tongue would not allow him to say the K sound until he got "training" on how to get it to touch the roof of his mouth/pull back for certain sounds, come out for the "TH" sound... I guess he diagnostically had/has a lazy tongue. I'm sure hers could become lazy if she doesn't use it, but I don't currently think that's what it is. She speaks better than he did when he was 2 1/2.

Quoting 2and2onway:

I wouldnt push it, but when you speak back say it correctly. Are you sure she is copying or does she have the same issues?

.Angelica.
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I wouldn't worry just yet at 2.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)