• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help.. almost 3 yr old growth spurt or????

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:39 AM
  • 7 Replies

hi guys, 

so my ds  will be 3 on the 27th! only 10 more days yay! anyway.. ive noticed on/off the last month or so now he  has woken up a few x int he night just a handful of times crying & whining.. i  can tell by the way he hold his knee or moves his leg in a restless way that it aches/hurts him. we rub it & comfort him & he seems to feel better in about 15-20 min & then he is fine the next day & all day.

i had growing pains  as a kid & have heard of it I wonder if this is that? I will bring it up at his upcoming wellness appt but curious if anyone has seen this?

also, he has either been skipping naps ( then being very cranky  & over tired) or he naps longer like 4 hrs!!!!

on top of this he will have mushy, smelly poops but no new foods in his diet. 

im confused as to why all this is happening he has no efevr, acts fine ( just more demanding at times as i assume a 3 yr old would be) testing us & what not.. he still plays & acts fine his appetite ranges from normal to more hungry to picky &  just picks onlil things all day.

does this sound liek a growth spurt? its been on/off with bouts of normality inbetween  for a couple of months now!

thanks for any insight.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Dayciavu
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:41 AM

all of it sounds normal to me, my son is 3 and a half and he has been waking up since he was about 2 and a half complaining about his legs hurting. We rub them and he is fine. Everything else sounds good too. You don't have anything to worry about.

corrinacs
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Hey,

The pains could very well be growth spurts.  Skipping naps is normal at this age as they are getting out of the age where they require naps.  Sometiems my son will take naps but most times, not really.

mushy smelly poops could just be normal.  If they are slightly dehydrated, this could cause slight diarrhea, but if they are few and far between then that's just normal.  As long as he's not complaining of tummy hurts often.

.Angelica.
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I'm not sure. when my son has a growth spurt I only know because he sleeps more (though he hasn't been napping for 2 years now) and he eats a lot. he hardly eats anything so when he can't stop eating I know he's growing. LOL

Ilovemyprince82
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Sounds like a growth spurt to me

Imjustinsmommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:58 AM

thanks everytime i mention it someone says " growth spurt" i assume the naps  are excatly that/ The legs im pretty sure but  im asking anyway b/c thats pains & i want to be careful/ the mushy  gross poop im not sure wwent with a growth spurt/ he had a few x in the last 2 months ( sometimes obviously when he eats lots of fruit  we call it fruity poops LOL) but i know  we didnt have much fruit this week & he pooped 3x yesterday all so mushy & gross & 2x already today  the same. TMI but its not water.. just loose like but he's not complaining of a belly ache. ill bring this  all up at his epdi appt soon but  thanks guys!!

PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:58 AM

It might be growing pains. They do exist. I would say it's a growth spurt but like you said, it doesn't hurt to mention it at his next appointment.

Imjustinsmommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:17 PM

UGH make that  # gross mushy smelly poops today & it's only 12pm!!! id say a bug or somehting he ate btu he ate nothing different or weird & he doesn't appear to be sick.. i did give him a banana & took the milk away for today & now he;s eating crackers for a bit b/c i do NOT wnat to clean up another gross poop.. maybe he feels good btu now it's making me ill LOL maybe he's developing a milk intolerance  ive heard that too but that seems weird. he;s been fine with milk but now im not sure for the  past couple of mos . =(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)