Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help lil guy doesnt feel good (piog)

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:31 AM
  • 13 Replies

okay my 20 month old is not feeling good, hes running a fever of 101.2(under arm). my question is do they run a fever if teething? he has barely slept all night he wouldnt go to sleep laying flat i would have to hold him to get him to sleep then lay him down and then he would be up again in 2 hours... im thinking it maybe an ear infection but not sure.. my brain is kinda on auto pilot from not sleeping at all and im waiting on the nurse to call back please help!!

** update** well dr said his ears look good and he said just to keep giving him tylenol for the fever and keep him hydrated more than likely its from him cutting his molars or he said it could be a lil virus  but not to worry.... shew i feel better now... i tend to be an extreme worrier when it come to my lil guy

thanks for the advice ladies i really really appreciate it

~*I love My Little Miracle*~
     ~*Brenden Jessee*~

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ilovemyprince82
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Yes they can get fevers teething. Have you given him any tylenol?  Is he drooling? have you tried rubbing his gums? giving him something cold to chew on? even a cold rag will work. Just put it in the freezer for a few minutes.  Is he tugging at his ears? Not all kids do but that's a sign of there ear bugging them.  I hope he feels better soon!

2and2onway
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Mine always ran fevers when teething.

blissfulmama80
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:07 AM

It depends on who you ask.  Some doctors say teething doesn't cause fevers and some say it can.  However... I think most agree that if your LO DOES get a fever from teething that it will be a very low grade fever... like 99 or maybe 100 at the most.  If your LO is reading 101.2 under the arm, that is more like 102 (since I think you might have to add a degree for under arm) so I wouldn't pin it all on teething (though he might be getting teeth, too).  Could for sure be an ear infection if he is not wanting to lie down... might just be a virus.  My youngest has a fever yesterday and has a cold/virus.  She was up pretty much ALL night not wanting to sleep and being cranky.   :/  

corrinacs
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Hey,

Doctors say they don't, but I totally disagree.  My son ran fevers with his teething sessions all the time!  If you think that's what's going on, then he should be fine.  If the fever gets any higher, doesn't break with tylenol or he devlops other symptsoms call the doc :)

brendens_mommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:10 AM

thanks ladies!! just heard back from the ask a nurse and she told me that it could be an ear infection or something viral so brenden has an appt with his pedi at 245 today...

PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I would check on his ears. My daughter always had a low grade fever and didn't sleep well when she had an ear infection.

Imjustinsmommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:00 PM

glad he has an appt. they can get temps with  teething yes but it's also of course possible it can be  a infection or something so id check it just in case! 

Allisonc7910
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Quoting brendens_mommy:

thanks ladies!! just heard back from the ask a nurse and she told me that it could be an ear infection or something viral so brenden has an appt with his pedi at 245 today...

Thats good, I was going to say a low grade temp of 99 would be from teething but 101.2 under the arm is 102.2, and teething won't cause that high a temp.

NovaChick26
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM

yea they can run fevers with teething try giving him some motrin it last longer in the system than tylenol. Iv also heard that rotataing motrin and tylenol can help. I agree give him something cool to num his gums.

brendens_mommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM

thanks ladies i really appreciate it...i swear my mind is not working right today..  i will let you all know how the appointment turns out...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)