Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your thoughts on the importance of preschool

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:11 PM
  • 5 Replies

I run a home daycare from my house and I have since my daughter was 5 months old. She is now 4 years old and I am trying to figure out what I should do. The children in my daycare are very close together in age so I do my best teaching them things they will need to know in kindergarten. I have tought them all their ABC's and how to count to 20. I am in the process of teaching them how to write each letter and the different sounds each letter makes. They have different stations to play with, ex: The kitchen and dress up station, the building station, craft station ect. They get lots of outdoor play and they get lots of free time to learn how to play well with eachother. Each morning I have a special morning circle they all sit and we go over the rules, sing our morning song, do our stretches and excersizes ect. The list goes on with what I do with them. Im not sure it is enough though, i could really use some input on this and what you would think is best for her, to go to preschool or is my daycare enough?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mama2mymonkey
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:15 PM

If you can afford it, I'd send her to a formal preschool. Even if it's just 2 days a week. 

Mommy4Life86
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I just started my 4 yo in prek and he's in his second week and doing really well. I thought about doing it myself, but the truth is, he is different when he goes to school. Kids react so differently when they are around the teacher that isn't thier mom, and making friends etc. I questioned myself so much but now seeing how he's doing and bragging about his great day to us at the dinner table...it makes me realize how important it is that he leads his own seperate school life and than comes home for family time kwim?

corrinacs
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Hey,

My best suggestion is to order or somehow come into possession of curriculum books.  It sounds like what you are doing is precisely what a preschool does, just on a much less formal basis, which can actaully be better for the kids in a way :).  You are doing a lot more than what other home daycares I know of are doing :).

I think it requires a lot of work to accredit your home daycare for being educational, but at least find yourself some curriculum books to help guide you a hint better.  Besides, they give you ideas on how to create/execute lesson plans (to keep you organized) and the materials you would need to teach the children properly.  Knowing what you are teaching a head of time makes it much easier when you are ensuring you have all of the materials right there :).

To find these curriculum books, you may want to check out some homeschooling websites.  Since you are not affiliated wtih a school, it may be harder to find the catalogues.  Sometimes, companies will bring people out to you to show youhow to use thier materials as well (its marketing/orientation).

Hopefully you will find something!  There are also a ton of websites you can use to supplement as well :).

I know that Nick Jr has a website based on lesson plans as well...might get the children excited to have some of thier fave characters on thier work :)

.Angelica.
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:39 PM

My son isn't doing preschool. You can send her if you want, but parents are just as capable as teaching their children what preschools do. And most people say they do it for the social aspect, well your daughter is getting that already.

I mean if you want to, do it. if you don't, I don't think it's a big deal

NearSeattleMom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I don't think it's important at all . . . actually. 

I did what you're doing and my kids all did fine in kindergarten. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)