Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Behavior Help

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM
  • 9 Replies

My husband and I have been so blessed to have a 3 year old that got in very minimal trouble. . .EVER!  He was a model child.  Keyword: WAS.  June 15th of this year, he got a little brother and everything changed.  When it was new, he was curious and helped me constantly.  Now, 2 months in, he is terrible!  His room and already been ripped of all toys and stuffed animals.  All of his movies have been taken away and he gets no cartoons on TV for today.  (We only have the main TV in our living room.)  We are at our wits end.  My husband spanks, which I don't, but it works for my husband.  Is this jealousy or a phase?  What can we do to make it stop? He's was a very well mannered child before the past few weeks, and I want my sweet little man back!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mypbandj
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM
What's he doing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshine.hale
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Quoting mypbandj:

What's he doing?

Guess I should have included that in the first place. 

He refuses to listen for starters.

He doesn't sit at his table for a full meal. (which is why we are currently getting a dining room table he can actually sit in since I somehow thought that buying one with backless barstools was a great idea)

He has never been allowed in the kitchen while I'm cooking, and refuses to obey that rule.

He won't stay still for his nap and gets out of bed repeatedly.

He throws things when he gets mad, usually from being told no.

He will throw his body into walls, floors, his bed, etc. when he doesn't get his way.

Recently on a trip to the WIC office, he started knocking things off of the nutritionist's desk because she wouldn't give him a sticker immediately.  I then grabbed him and started to talk to him about why he was being mean.  He kicked me, and then he bit me.  He has never bit me before.

He will knock things off shelves when we go shopping.

He has pulled tint off of my husband's back glass in his truck.

I just don't want any of this to get worse.  He's getting too big and strong for me to handle tantrums and I feel like we're headed toward that.

ninaas
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:28 PM
Sounds like my LO. My fiance ( his dad ) spanks ours also , or sends him to his room and make him sit in there for a little amount of time with no toys since he has no tv in there. If he doesn't go to sleep afterwards his dad or I go in there and talk to him after he is calm. We kept doing that repeatedly until he stopped with the bad behavior. Because I'm preggos now and really needs him on his best behavior for his new little sibling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NearSeattleMom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Check out the book "Parenting with Love and Logic."

Give him a ton of choices . . . he'll be so busy choosing that he'll forget to disobey.  :)

Good luck and welcome to the group!

jugglingJoin me in The Lounge for more conversation!
               Or come chat on The Park Bench!

bhwrn1
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Sounds like jealousy and also being 3.

I suggest 123 Magic.

PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:28 PM

I hope it is a phase.

LancesMom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:32 PM

This is a normal behavior for two to three yr olds. But it could be both jealousy and a phase. Be sure you are setting aside some time just for him. From both of you!

lucjenemom3
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I agree. I would give him a choice of things too. If he isn't listening. Say: you have a choice you can either. listen to me and watch tv or you can not listen and not watch tv. it may not work with listening but giving him the choice will make him realize I'm the one making this choice, which at 3 may take a bit to understand but he should start choosing the right thing. Hope that helps.

Quoting LancesMom:

This is a normal behavior for two to three yr olds. But it could be both jealousy and a phase. Be sure you are setting aside some time just for him. From both of you!

Janis

lfrrll5
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:09 PM

make sure you include him in helping with baby and give him extra attention when baby is asleep ect.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)