Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need help finding snacks that are good but sugar free

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:19 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hello ladies i was wondering what snacks and treats are good to give a child with out the sugar and fat! if any one can please give me some ideas or advice i would apperciate it.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lilblufrog
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:29 PM

trail mix

dried fruit (can have sugar so use in moderation)

muffins (add veggies like carrots)

Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Gold fish crackers(low sodium ones), grapes, carrots, celery sticks, cheese sticks, cheerios, pretzels

PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Fresh fruits and veggies

tuffymama
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM
My LO likes to snack on kidney beans. I soak them, cook them, and keep them in the fridge for meal-building, but he will eat a half cup of them for a snack. I just rinse them and drain them and give them to him in a bowl. They taste a little sweet so most kids like them. I do the same thing with chickpeas. I save some aside for him when I cook some for hummus.
Hummus and pita! Or hummus with carrot sticks and celery to dip.
Plain Greek yogurt with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder stirred in. Makes a great dip.
Panzanella salad, made by cutting everything in big chunks. Kids like eating it with their fingers.
Raisins and raw walnuts with a little grated cheddar.
Air popped corn tossed with a bit of warm olive or coconut oil, and seasoned how you like it. We enjoy curry powder or garlic & onion powders with salt & pepper.
Segmented orange.
Leftover ham or other meat from dinner the night before cut into sticks and served with veggie sticks and dip made of mustard and Greek yogurt mixed together.
Weird looking or unusual fruits and vegetables. We try to introduce something unusual to LO every couple of weeks, and snack time is the most successful time for this. Starfruit, pomegranate, kiwi, lychee, jicama slaw, celery (for the first time), homemade purple potato chips and whole coconut have all gone over well at snack time.
Snack time is our free period, dietarily speaking. I use it to make up missing food groups, add in vitamins or fiber, clean out leftovers, and push the limits of LO's palate. We have fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyVC
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Veggie mix (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower) with fat-free homemade dip (mix a medium sized tub of fat free sour cream with one packet of lipton onion soup mix)!

MLozano
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:06 PM

sugar free, fat free pudding

michelleinfl
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Quoting PEEK05:

Fresh fruits and veggies

This. Also, I buy the dip mix (like Ranch or the Dill Garden) and make it with low fat sour cream and give the kids a dollup for their veggies. I also sometimes give them pretzels with a little bit of peanut butter. And yes, peanut butter does have fat, but it is good fat and a source of protein. I also buy the string cheese for the kids. Yogurt is a good snack too! :)

bhwrn1
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:30 PM

fruie and veggies

crackers and cheese

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)