Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question about my 2 1/2 yo son

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:05 AM
  • 8 Replies

I have a feeling that something is wrong and I have been ignoring it bc of my daughters history in the matter. My daughter never truly spoke til she was 3. She could say full words but could never form a sentence or any thing of the sort til she was 3. Now she talks fine at 4. My son is having the same problem and I kept saying oh he'll come around just like his sister did. Well as time is going by he still can't say full words. He can say 2 letter words no problem, but that's it. All the other words he can only get out half of it. Like for juice he says ju or please he just says p. I have tried making him say it over and over but he can't. He is a very intelligent child and I chalked it up to being lazy for a while. Well my hubby never worried or said anything about our daughter not talking just that he wish she would cause he couldn't understand her. But the other day he told me that it's time to have our son checked cause he feels its something more. First off my hubby hates dr's even for the kids cause he doesn't agree with alot of their methods. And our two are not his only two so he has been through alot of things before with his other two. Anyway so now I'm concerned!!! I am going to set up an appointment for both of them as they need their check ups and stuff. My hubby suggested that our son has tongue tie. I don't really think that is the case as I've had him make sounds and noises with his mouth that involve extensive tongue movement and he can do them fine. So ok ladies what do u think could be going on? Anyone else been through this with their child? Is it just speech delay or something more worrisome?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
babygirlsmom314
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:09 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenSAHM2
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:09 AM

I had my son evaluated by the Birth to 3 Program when he was 2 and we found he had a speech and language delay. They would work with him for 30-45 minutes at our house about 2 or 3 times a week.  I loved that he got this special attention and he has come a long way. He is going into 4k and i know he will do well with all the extra help he's had along the way from Birth to 3 and the school Early childhood Intervention program.

JenSAHM2
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Our dr is the one who contacted Birth to 3 for us and they called me to set up an evaluation.  good luck. Hope you get it all figured out. :)

steffielou_who
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Our doctor referred us to a speech therapist but she said she wouldn't work with our DS because she felt that his wasn't serious enough so she contacted birth to three for us... It on;y took a couple of sessions and some muscle stimulation at home before he was talking like crazy! He is starting kindergarten next week and still has a speech problem.. He can't say certain sounds.. His mouth muscles just weren't strong enough and his lips looked weak.. So, we would massage the muscles...

I would say it is just a speech problem but I am no doctor.. Contact a speech therapist!

butterflyfreak
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:07 AM

Definitely talk to your doctor. I would actually recommend having his hearing tested, if it has not been done before. Even if only to rule that out. My daughter has a hearing loss, hereditary on my side of the family, so she had some speech delays. Our dr. referred us to the birth-3 program which works with my local school. Long story short, my daughter's hearing loss resulted in speech, language development and cognitive delays. She started going to the special education community preschool 4 days a week, 3 hours a day, 15 minutes a day with the speech therapist, and the classes were small which allowed for a lot of 1:1 time in the classroom. We saw a HUGE improvement in her speech and general knowledge (colors, letters, etc) in a very short amount of time.

Talk to your doctor about your concerns. You don't mention any behavioral issues so very possibly just a speech delay but  have his ears checked, just to make sure as any hearing loss, no matter how slight, could have a tremendous effect on his speech development.

Jenniferv04
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:08 AM

My daughter is the same way, She just turned two, My 4 year old was already knowing cerrtain words, like Eat, milk, Juice, the basic stuff that she "wanted" i freaked out becuase my two year old has only figured out mama and dada, other then that its still screaming and crying, i freaked out and talked to my mom and grandmother about this they informed me that my younger brother (and my mom, who was the younger sister) did the same thing becuase the older child usually tends to talk FOR them so they get into the swing of it, my mother told me that my brother didn't really form real words/sentences till he was about 4 1/2 -5 years old just becuase it was so hard not to get me to talk for him. I asked the doctor what i could do, after realizeing my 4 year old does the same thing, and she said there isn't much you can other then say ask her a question and if my 4 year old answers explain to her  that she needs to learn how to talk, and you want the answer form her. So were tryign that as of now. She is slowly getting some things like Eat and milk down other then that its still quite a bit of an uphill battle.

babydoll27295
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:13 AM

Jenniferv04 I totally understand what u mean by the older sibiling talking for them. I have caught my daughter doing this on numerous occassions for my son. Bc I already knew to look for it from it happening with my step sisters kids I stopped it early and he still wont talk like he's suppose to. However he does know eat. Boy does he know eat lol.  Butterflyfreak I know this is going to sound stupid but what do you mean by behavioral issues? Both of my kids have them but its in the aspect of just not listening to me lol. when I talk to my son he fully understands what I am saying just sometimes he chooses not to listen. Me and hubby have checked his hearing (no were not doctors) but from our stand point he can hear just fine. But i am however concerned with his ears. He has never had an ear ache nor an infection but I was suppose to have tubes in my ears as a child my mother didn't do it for me bc of a huge misunderstanding between her and the doctor. And my Dh's son from his other marriage did have tubes put in his ears. So yes ear problems run on both sides of the family and I had already thought about talking about that with the doctors. As does learning disabilities, but most of them are from complications at birth or severe illnesses as a toddler. But I try not to over think these kinds of things as I am a worrier as it is. I am just wondering if I need to prepare myself for a long journey with him or is this a basic problem that can be solved with ease? Either way does not  matter  to me as I love my son unconditionally I just want to give him every option he has to have the best life possible kwim?

crystal626rose
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:49 AM

I say if you feel as though something is wrong then take him to get checked . It gives some peace of mind . I don't have much expirience with this , so here's a bump . I hope you get some answers .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)