Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Only Children

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:21 PM
  • 9 Replies

I have been dealing with a few only children this week and oh.my.goodness.  I am sure some of oyu out there have perfectly lovely onlies but I swear every only i meet acts like a spoiled brat who doesn't know how to interact w/ others.  The neighbor girl came over to play w/ my DD and she is HORRID.  And the thing is she is a different kid when her mom is around so she has no clue. She THINKS her DD is sweet and polite.  But she is awful.  Everything comes out as a whime and literally within 30 seconds of her mom leaving I hear her shriek at my DD "But I'm the GUEST and you HAVE to do what I want!" ugh!  but when her mom drops her off she tells her, "remember your manners with Miss Sonia. Say please and thank you." and the girls sweetly says "yess, mama!" I am also helping out an aquaintance by caring for her 8 yr old son for a couple of weeks.  The minute one of my kids doesn't want to play just how he wants he puts and says he won't play with them anymore.

http://leangreenmommy.wordpress.com/

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
babowes
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM
My dh is an only.......he still has issues sharing!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kittn370
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:34 PM
DS is an only child right now, and he's pretty good at sharing and playing nicely, although he can get aggressive and hit from time to time and he doesn't have a very good sense of personal space (then again, he's 2 1/2 so that may explain the personal space thing...I don't know).

We're going to TTC another one when DH gets home, so DS may not be an only much longer! And I'm glad, because I really don't want to end up the parent of one of the children you're dealing with!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tuffymama
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM
There are fifteen and a half years between my kids, so ODS comports himself as an only. That said, he was NEVER a brat. Perfect behavioor scores in school, always invited for repeat playdates, I always received compliments and positive comments on his willingness to share, help, etc. That said, I've known TONS of youngests who were total jackasses, and many eldests who were bossy to the point that I couldn't stand being around them. It all boils down to individuality and parenting. Kids with no home training or kids with jerk parents will act like jerks. Period. But we all have off days, even the most reasonable of us, even as grownups (ahem). I've known kids I would have taken home for keeps whose parents were complete a-holes. So. Maybe Princess is going through a phase. In your home, you are totally allowed to state the rules to her and put her hiney in TO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaSiete
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Lol, I have an only. Can't say he's good with other kids because he's 2 so naturally at that age he sucks at sharing and stuff, but he's a nice boy =)

He'll always been an only but he has kids around him ALL the time.

SoniaL
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:47 PM

What's funny is the neighbor girl, her mom has her in something ALL the time to get her aorund other kids. She was in preschool (going into K this year, watch out world! lol) and every little playgroup, class, library thing, all of it. Anything our town has, sh was/is in.  But the issue I think is that her mom let's her rule the roost at home.  When we moved in 2 years ago she said she was so glad my DD was her DD's age because the mom is so tired of playing with ehr all day. i was like, "You know you can have ehr play on her own, right?"  But she won't do it. She literally can't get anything done unless the DD has a friend over or goes somewhere.  And she is 5!! That is ridiculous.

Quoting MommaSiete:

Lol, I have an only. Can't say he's good with other kids because he's 2 so naturally at that age he sucks at sharing and stuff, but he's a nice boy =)

He'll always been an only but he has kids around him ALL the time.

Fields456
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:50 PM

i have an only up until this oct.  she is really good but she did go thru an only child syndrome stage which i worked hard at breaking her of.    BUt i completely know what you mean. a few of my friends have only children who are really really bad about crap like that and it drives me nuts. 

corrinacs
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Wow!  Iam sorry you are going through this!  Its supposed to be the other way aroudn :/

My best suggestion is to not give her attention when she acts that way!  I would also speak to the parent as well, just to let her know what's going on.  If you have to tape what's going on to prove it, then do it :/'

But, something must be done.  That child shoudln't act like that when she's with others.  Believe me, no teacher or other children are going to want to work/play with her!

SoniaL
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM

That is why in the 2 years we have lived here she ahs been here twice. lol

Quoting corrinacs:

Wow!  Iam sorry you are going through this!  Its supposed to be the other way aroudn :/

My best suggestion is to not give her attention when she acts that way!  I would also speak to the parent as well, just to let her know what's going on.  If you have to tape what's going on to prove it, then do it :/'

But, something must be done.  That child shoudln't act like that when she's with others.  Believe me, no teacher or other children are going to want to work/play with her!

katiebug840204
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:02 PM
I know some onlies that are EXACTLY like that!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)