Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting preschool need advice!!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hello ladies,

Okay, so I'm a bit stressed out. DS will be starting preschool very soon. His school allows him to go full day or half. Initially I had this all figured out. I was going to place him half day since he has never been to childcare and was not really sure what to expect. Until he got used to it then I would be switching him to full day. Now my concern is what if I'm hindering his ability to learn if I just do half day. Also he has to nap at school when he goes full day, doesn't it make sense that he gets used to it on the first day rather than changing it 2 months later? I'm trying to make this transition as easy as possible but it just dawn on me that the other kids might wonder why he is going home early and DS might also hate missing out on the other things that all the other children are doing. This is my first time, I have no experience in this and I'm really kind of freaking out. I emailed his teacher just a few minutes ago to explained my concern. Any feedback's would be greatly appreciated to those that has done this before or are in the same situation as me.

Thank you so much!

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KayDziedzic
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Our district has a full-day, 5 day/week preK program. DS started last year, DD starts next month. DS was never in daycare or with a regular sitter (i'm a SAHM and grandma watches the kids for an occasional date night) and he loved preK. He had the occasional off day throughout the year, but he adjusted so quickly.

I recommend sending him full day since you have the option. The concerns you're having about starting your son with a halfday and switching later are the same ones I would have, although I don't think sending him halfday will hinder his ability to learn. He wouldn't be there for as much instruction as other kids in class which may put him a bit behind them, but he'd catch up no problem next year (or if you were to switch to fulltime later this year).

I'm learning that preK teachers teach preschoolers because they love to do it and are willing to go above and beyond to help parents, so don't hesitate to call them with any concerns or to ask for advice.

Whichever way you decide, get ready to be amazed at the ways your LO is going to grow :)

momoftwins_2
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:57 PM

i wouldjust do half day. If hes never been in anything like that what if he freaks out and hates it? Mine are only doing half day and that will be enough for them. Most preschools are only half day, so of course you wouldnt be hindering him at all.

corrinacs
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Hey,

My best suggestion woudl be to talk to the director and teacehr of the class your child will be in.  The question you want to ask is when the bulk of the learning takes place and what the daily curriculum woudl be like.

If the primary focus on the curriculum is ni the morning, and not really emphasized in the afternoon, then going half-day may be just fine.  But, if they do segments throughout the whole day, then you woudl want to stick with whole day.  I woudln't ask it in that frame, but just ask them for a daily schedule of events :).

Good luck!

Mommy2Venice
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Thank you so much ladies for your response. I emailed his teacher and just waiting to get a response back.

shygrl3cccm
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:08 PM
How old is he? I'm having doubts about sending my 3 year old to preschool at age 3 or 4 years old?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Venice
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 2:35 PM

DS turned 3 on May. We decided to only do half days for now and once he gets used to it then maybe switch him to full days. There's also 4 and almost 5 years old in his class and they go full days. Next year he would get a full day, but as of right now he is going from 7:45 -11:45 M-F. Full days are 7:45-3:05 M-F and thought that might be a little too much for him.

mrhodgeswife
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 2:43 PM

My daughter at 3 started head start full day with a nap at the end, then at 4 this year is in prk could of went back to headstart at full day but they dont have bus and i killed my gas fund driving her back and forth last year and prk has buss service from my house BUT its only half day. She's doing fine with the change and honestly I think its the better choice because at headstart she would have to nap or at least lay there durring nap time which to me is waisted school hours when she outgrew her nap this summer. Was starting to out grow it at the end of school last year. So he being with me half of the day I can fill those hours with other needs and things and when she's at school its school time. Then next year in kindergarden she'll be full day no naps. At half day all he'd really be missing is nap time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)