Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pronouncing words wrong; when to be concerned?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:46 PM
  • 5 Replies

So my son will be 4 in just 5 weeks. He still says many sounds wrong. The hard C, F, G, J, V and Z are the ones I can think of right now.

Example cookie comes out as "dookie" cat comes out as "dat"

The hard C is usually when a word is beginning with that. Because he can say it in the middle of a word no problem. The other weird thing is he says Car, perfectly. So I know it's not lack of being able to say it, cause he CAN he just refuses to try.

And he knows all his letter sounds, and saying them by themselves he has no problem, but in a word he can't do it. Or I should say, he won't try to do it.

He is sometimes very hard to understand because of this, other times he speaks fairly clear. Should I start being concerned yet or does it still sound normal for his age?

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JAIRATRACI
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:48 PM
My son who is also 4 does the same thing but with different letters. He started speech last school year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:51 PM

has it helped him? I hadn't been concerned before because like I said, he CAN make those sounds. So that's not the issue. It's that he doesn't even want to try because he's been saying them like that so long (I've been correcting him the whole time) he doesn't want to try.

Quoting JAIRATRACI:

My son who is also 4 does the same thing but with different letters. He started speech last school year.

JAIRATRACI
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:53 PM
It has helped a little but only went like 5 times and has been off for the summer. He does it through the school district.

Quoting .Angelica.:

has it helped him? I hadn't been concerned before because like I said, he CAN make those sounds. So that's not the issue. It's that he doesn't even want to try because he's been saying them like that so long (I've been correcting him the whole time) he doesn't want to try.

Quoting JAIRATRACI:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Quoting JAIRATRACI:

It has helped a little but only went like 5 times and has been off for the summer. He does it through the school district.

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting JAIRATRACI:

Ametrine
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Here's a website that can tell you when a child generally is expected to pronounce certain letter sounds.

_____

Just because you put tap shoes on an elephant does not mean it can dance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)