Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should your 3 year old know?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:54 AM
  • 16 Replies

what all should your 3 yr old know at their age?

examples: colors, shapes, numbers, using scissors?

I am a sahm and i just want to make sure my ds is up to speed for when he starts school next year?

He already knows his full name he knows how to count to 10 he can recognize numbers by looking at them he knows some of his ABC'S and he knows his shapes and basic colors. anything else i should be working with him on?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:55 AM
Don't stress. Just follow his interests and have fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
holmes212
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:00 AM

ok i just want to make sure he is not behind for when he starts school.. he is very intersted in books so we have a ton of them and he got a vreader for christmas last year and so he is just now getting into that and he really likes it and he has started sitting down at the table and coloring on his own i didnt let him before because i was worried he would color on other things so he used the color wonder markers before. i have playdough but still working up the courage to get it out because i dont want a huge mess lol. im a clean freak with ocd so its very hard for me. i also want to do activites with him like making a number book with like cherrios or beans buttons ect but i feel like its hard to do with just him itd be nice to have another parent and child to do that with but we dont have anyone else.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:03 AM
There is plenty you can do with just him. What is he interested in?? My 4 year old loves history so I do a lot of history lessons. Then we go see the place we have been learning about. He also loves science so we do a lot of that.
I've always followed his lead. We read a ton of books and I explain things as we go.
He was just tested on an educational level of a 6+ year old :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
holmes212
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:08 AM

he loves his books and he is actually pretty good i believe its remembering because with some of his books even if we havent read them in a while he can go threw and basically read the book to me but he doesnt word for word. also i have tons of falsh cards that we do. he doesnt write his name and i am not sure if thats something he should know by now but i tryed working with him on writing his name and address but he doesnt seem like hes interested in that he thinks its a game. he loves games like candy land and that sorry game i think it is where u push down the dice and move the pieces. he likes the games on his vreader.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:14 AM
Writing his name is usually taught at 3 in prek (I used to teach it). But you have to make it fun! Write in sand, with shaving cream, with paint, etc. And if he's not completely ready yet that's ok. Work on coloring, drawing pictures, etc. Those are excellent prewriting skills!
Things like tracing, dot to dots, etc are great too :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:16 AM

I have no idea what a 3 year old should know. My ds is almost 4 years old and he tested at an 8 year old level. I do what he is intrested in. We've read many many books about weather, volocanoes, earthquakes, the Human body (the brain is his favorite paqrt to learn about), bugs, animals, and we are currently reading about the planets/solor system. We made planets and stars (numbered 1-20), decorated the plaents and painted the stars with glow in the dark paint. then using the ceiling light on the ceiling created the solor system. So when it's dark we turn out the lights and count the stars (it helps my 2 year old learn to count too).

Whatever my ds wants to learn about those are the books I check out of the library. then we read about the topic and do a craft that focuses on the topic. 

holmes212
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:17 AM

i am thinking of searching google for free printable papers for him to color draw like school papers that are appropriate for his age. he has paints and he has done them but its just so hard because dd gets into everything and then he gets mad because hes trying to work on it and shes taking everything. but i did think of a cute idea for halloween i found a printable pumpkin a big one and 2 medium sized and found a hand print poem and am going to paste the poem on the big pumpkin and do handprints on each side of the poem and then attatch the medium sized ones to the big one with strings hanging down and put their feet prints on it i though that would be fun for him and a cute keepsake

.Angelica.
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Don't stress. Just follow his interests and have fun!

AHmom103
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Um. My daughter hasn't used scissors, but I think she could if I gave them to her...I keep forgetting to go buy safety scissors for her.

Mirauder
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:48 PM
Sounds like your kid is right on track. I have a three year old son and he's bright. I also taught preschool. Sensory play is so important. Don't forget singing, following instructions, simple social manners and gross motor skills. Get outside and explore. Work on self help skills as well. You would be shocked how much some parents do for their kids instead of letting their child take the lead.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)