Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preschool help

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:21 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son is in Preschool but the only problem is I don't think he is learning anything. Everything else is fine, he gets a long with the other kids, he does has some trouble with the rules but he is getting use to them. He goes Monday Wenday's and Fridays. I feel like it is more of a daycare then a Preschool cause when I ask him what did he do/learn he goes I play ball or I play this. I have only came home with 2 paintings he has been there for a month and a half the only thing he has learned is the stuff I am teaching him at home. I found another Preschool that I read all the circuulum and so far I really like and also in the same price range! 

So what do you ladies think I should do? Keep him in or change him?

My sister came up with an idea to view what he actually does there on Friday but then of course they will probably be on there best behevior like anyone else did 

I just really like it cause of how close it is I can walk 10-15 minutes to pick him up the other one I cannot walk to it isnt far either maybe 10 minute driving 

My DS is 4 years old

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babowes
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:24 AM
Learn through play are some phiosophies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ctfirsttimemom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:24 AM

How old is he?  My son will be 3 next month, so he is in the 3 year old program.  Mainly they do learning through play this year.  There are hardly any stay at home parents in our area, so its mostly for the kids to learn to be in a group of kids and listen to the teachers.  The second half of the year they get a little more into more learning, but I know my son already knows what they will cover.  Next year in the 4s they start to introduce more subjects.

yourpassion
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:28 AM

it's only been a month and a half.  how old is your son?  my son always talked about playing on the playground so i would ask if they read a story or if the colored, etc.  then he'd tell me yes or no, but honestly most of the time he told me he didn't know, or couldn't remember.  it's the age.  i know he learned a lot, but at that age, they do learn through play like PP said.  if you are concerned go to the school and observe. 

luvmygrandbaby
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Most preschools take the learn through play approach. I happen to know for certian that when my child says oh we played etc, I have to ask specifics.

I ask, well its the letter B week, did you read a story or play with toys that start with that letter....then she remembers and I hear all about it.

Ask the teacher AND the director...what is this weeks theme, is there a curriculum for this class?  Once you have been answered if they say yes. Drop in either before lunch or after rest time and peek through the window etc. Its your right, yor child is there.

I wouldnt be quick to pull him if it has only been a little while, could upset the whole idea of preschool to him.

Beckers214
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:16 AM

My DD just started preschool yesterday.  She is in the 2s program, she will be 3 in October.  They get 30 mins to play... when they first get there and only go outside for a few minutes if at all.  They do a group time where they sing songs, talk about the weather and will eventually start doing other things.  They have craft time, science time, and much more.  There is always stuff on the tables for them to do.  

I would personally change preschools if I was you.  You could also go watch and see what goes on.Good luck!

CrazyBeautiful.
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM

My boys' preschool learns through play. So maybe that is how they are doing it and your son doesn't see it at learning but as playing. I would talk to the teacher or the director about what they do during the day. I know everyday that I pick my boys up the teacher tells me what they did and what they made. I LOVE my boys' preschool!! They are 4 as well. 

.Angelica.
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM

If you want to switch, then switch. I don't know much about preschool, we're not doing it.

jazzerina33
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:08 PM

If you ask my son, all he does at preschool is play dinosaurs. But then you catch him in his room singing his abcs or a new song I haven't taught him. I'm sure your little one is learning, even if he doesn't realize it. Its still early in the school year, so they are could be easing them into real learning activities. If you're really unhappy, take him to the other school just to test it out for a day and see how it goes. Don't pull him from this one right away.

millasmum
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM

If you don't like it, switch him. My daughter just started preschool as well. her preschool has an open door policy and family are allowed to come in whenever they want. I really like this, it shows they have nothing to hide. My daughter is 3 an dhad a hard time adjusting, she still crys when I leave. At first she would not eat lunch or use the bathroom, she would hold it until I picked her up. As far as learning, she has already learned some sign language. She knows the sign for happy, sad, excited, scared, and angry. I like her school and teachers and that is very important to me.

Bob192
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I would talk to the teacher about it.  You could come to her in a non confrontational way and say something like "I was just curious about the structure of your day.  Can you give me a breakdown of structured/unstructured activities?" and "Is there a way I can know what your lesson plans are so that we can practice the same things at home?"  Even if they do quite a bit of play time they should have some structured learning time and they should have lesson plans.  It is also a good idea to keep up on their licensing visits and know if they have any serious non compliances.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)