Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tubes in and adenoids/tonsils taken out... HELP!

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:22 AM
  • 14 Replies

My 4 year old daughter is set to have her second set of tubes put in and her tonsils and adenoids taken out next week... This momma is freaking out... She was 9 months old when she had the first set put in and, although it was the LONGEST 30 minutes of my life, it all went remakably well... But she is older now and this surgery will be more painful... Has anyone else had to go through this at this age?... Any suggestions on foods and how to make her as comfortable as possible?... Thank you in advance for any input you can give...

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-42-
by Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM

My five year old is going in on Friday for tubes and an adenoidectomy.

My oldest had the same thing, at the same age.

With those, it's really not horrible recovery. Now, the tonsils may be another beast all together.

Ice cream, popsicles, jello, soup, mashed potatoes, just stuff that they don't really have to work hard to swallow. And plenty of fluids, possible some tea and honey.

Also, be well stocked with Motrin and Tylenol, and have a cold compress ready.

She'll do great mama!

SoniaL
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM

My DD is 4 and had her tonsils and adenoids out this summer. i was very nervous too. Especially since she has llergies and had a reaction to a vaccine so i was worried about anesthesia, meds, etc.  Everyone at the surgery center was so great.  It went really fast too.  Her recovery on the tonsil end was ROUGH for about a week.  but she also couldn't take the prescription pain meds or even alternate tylenol and IB, due to her allergies.  So managing her pain was our big issue (IB only) and therefor getting her to eat or drink anything at all was hard.  It is key to keep them hydrated as dehydration dries out their throat causing more pain and inhibiting healing.  As long as you can keep her comfortable she should do ok. :)

Natasha31488
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I need to get my almost 6yro tonsils taken out too and Im terriffied also! :(

LancesMom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Hugs! I haven't but wanted to wish you both well!

tmmom2
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM

My son was 2  when he had the tubes in and 3 when they took his adenoids out. He acted like nothing happend at all. She is still young enough that it should not effect her. Hope everything goes well!

MotherOF5Cuties
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM
My 13 yo had all that done when she was 4 yo..you need all this stuff that this mamma mentioned..she will do fine ..it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be..GL

Quoting -42-:

My five year old is going in on Friday for tubes and an adenoidectomy.

My oldest had the same thing, at the same age.

With those, it's really not horrible recovery. Now, the tonsils may be another beast all together.

Ice cream, popsicles, jello, soup, mashed potatoes, just stuff that they don't really have to work hard to swallow. And plenty of fluids, possible some tea and honey.

Also, be well stocked with Motrin and Tylenol, and have a cold compress ready.

She'll do great mama!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:15 PM

tube placement is easypeasy its the T&A that is rough, for about 10 days. make sure you are giving tylenol round the clock, dont miss a dose even if your lil one seems ok, trust me you will regret it!  offer plenty of drinks and foods, let her pick what she wants. some docs restrict to soft foods n clear liquids but ours said let her choose what she wants, she wont eat it if it hurts her. he was right. she only wanted cereal lol and i had jello and popsicles ready for her but she didnt want them. but itll be fine. GL!

mypbandj
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM
My dd got her 2nd set of tubes and adenoids out when she was 6. She's weird though. She told me in the recovery room that "this is the best day ever!" I guess she enjoyed the popsicles and the attention. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoniaL
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:35 PM

HAHAHA  The tonsils are the hard one.

Quoting mypbandj:

My dd got her 2nd set of tubes and adenoids out when she was 6. She's weird though. She told me in the recovery room that "this is the best day ever!" I guess she enjoyed the popsicles and the attention. Lol

http://leangreenmommy.wordpress.com/

ladybuggirls
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions and support... I just hate the thought of her being in so much pain!... But I know that in the end it is best, because otherwise she would be having ear infections and throat infections every month... Just super nervous for her (and myself)... to bad they don't allow "mommy cups" in the hospital! ; ) But thank you all again... I am making a list and getting ready so I will be prepared!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)