• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:36 PM
  • 15 Replies
How old was your child and how ling did it take from beginning to complete potty trained?
I've been working with my son and daughter who are 18 months apart and still barely any progress. My son is about to turn 4 next month! I'm desperate! I also have a 8 month old and sick of buying diapers and pull ups!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bob192
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Oh my goodness.  My daughter is 3 and I am in the same boat as you.  She can go potty, but she only chooses to do it when she wants to.  All of my other ones were around 3 when they potty trained.  They decided they were ready to go and pretty much had it within a couple of weeks.  No accidents.

RobynS
by Robyn on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:07 PM

DS was 2 1/2 and when I put him in undies non-stop (instead of bouncing back and forth between pull-ups) it only took a week.

DD is a whole different story... she'll be 3 in Nov. and wants no part of it. She LIKES being a baby. *sigh*

JDM31707
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:42 PM
How did you do nights?

Quoting RobynS:

DS was 2 1/2 and when I put him in undies non-stop (instead of bouncing back and forth between pull-ups) it only took a week.

DD is a whole different story... she'll be 3 in Nov. and wants no part of it. She LIKES being a baby. *sigh*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peacach.milis
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:48 PM

When my son was actually ready-it took a few weeks. That was in January-he turned 3 in April. We just let him run around the apartment bottomless...and it worked. He didn't like to use his little potty, though. He insisted on using ours...so he'd end up kinda crouching on the toilet backwards and go. But whatever, it worked, lol. He had a handful of accidents but never in public-just at home. 

The only issue we're having now is him wetting himself at night. He doesn't wake up. The main issue is that we really drove home the 'diapers/pull-ups are for babies, you're a big boy!' so he REFUSES to keep them on at night. He just won't wear pull=ups. I considered taping them on him so he can't get out but the problem with that is that some nights he DOES wake-up to use the toilet...so it would kinda interfere with that, you know? 

Hang in there, i know its frustrating but I've always heard that they'll do it when they're ready. Don't worry-he won't be 25 and in a diaper. LOL. 

.Angelica.
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM

my son has been out of diapers since 19 months. although because of issues with going number 2 he didn't have that completely down until 3 when we finally got that figured out. but even then he didn't have too many accidents, it was just he couldn't go so he would start leaking until it finally came out. poor guy.

MargauxG
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM

DS1 started at 33 months and he was done by his 3rd birthday
DS2 started at 28 months and still has very random accidents and hes 30 months now...
DD is 14 months and has interest in the potty but hasn't started to trian yet! I just spent way to much on cloth diapers, she needs to get good use out of them first lol 

aj23
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:39 PM
We started when my son was 18 months and he started staying dry all night around 4. He's 4 1/2 and we still have poop issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ATG499
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I haven't started actively potty training my son yet, but I plan to start soon. Adrian is 2yrs, 5mos old.

babyk21
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM
My oldest daughter was 2 when I started trying to potty train her. I did actually get her to get used to the hang of it, but then we moved and she completely lost interest. So I waited and finally when she was about 3 months from turning 3, she started using the potty. Now my 23 month old shows interest when she feels like it, but that's it. I've tried with her but she doesn't seem to care lol. So I think I'm going to wait it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
storkradio193
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:22 PM

My 2 year old has some interest and will go pee at times.  We have not started potty training formally, but are tempted to start soon.  We put panties on one day and she pooped in them within the hour.  I need to be emotionally ready for many messes when we try panties again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)