Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthday Party Ettiquette Question!!!

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:52 PM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter is having her first real birthday party with friends from school (yayy).  Her birthday will be celebrated on October 8th and I was wondering how EARLY can I send the invites to her friends at school via their cubbies?  She will be turning 4.

I have no idea what standard is for kids this age... I would guess 2 weeks is the norm but I really want them to RSVP so I can plan accordingly so I was hoping I can do it earlier.

Any info would be GREAT!!!!

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peacach.milis
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM

i like to get invites as soon as possible. our calendar, especially in the fall, fills up REALLY quickly. 

katyuwf
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I would say 3 weeks is the earliest, but 2 weeks is pretty standard. Give them an RSVP date thats about a week away from the date of the party!!

TexasKaty
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:12 PM

I'd go with Friday the 23rd which comes out to 2 weeks and 1 days. Parents are more likely to check a kid's backpack over the weekend... and it gives them two full weekends to RSVP and get your kid a present. :)

.Angelica.
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM

not sure.

corrinacs
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I would say 3-4 weeks minimum!  I did mine 6 weeks in advance for my family and friends, but perhaps its different with friends only.
Good luck! 

Mom2jngnc
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I would say 2 weeks with the RSVP cut-off being about 3 days before the party. You can add "regrets only" to see if that helps... but RSVP-ing stinks where I am.

I have found if it is too far out: parents see it, read it and say "I can do it later"
Too soon and parents feel rushed.
However, my BEST response was the time we had an error (the school mail system wasn't delivering yet) and they went home the day before. For that party (kickball in the park) I had 21 of 22 kids come.

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

busy_mama27
by Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:08 PM

What is 'regrets only'?

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:09 PM
I say two weeks at the least I always give 6 but only because my kids birthday conflicts with halloween.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Quoting busy_mama27:

What is 'regrets only'?

I can't make, or no.....

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

abmaddox1981
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:14 PM
2 weeks is about the right time, simply because more than than and parents forget
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)