Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas Concepts

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:07 AM
  • 13 Replies

This year, we are planning to make a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas.  I used to think this was just downright silly, but it occurred to me that for a four-year-old, a familiar, concrete image may help solidify the concept that we really are celebrating the birth of Jesus.  She understands what a birthday is and what is typically done on birthdays, so I could see how it might be confusing to her to equate all the colored lights, cookie, Santa and gifts to each other with Christ's birthday.  While we do multiple charitable things at Christmas to try and keep her focused on the real meaning, I think even then we miss communicating the core concept to her.

Does anyone else do this?  If so, why?  If you don't, why not?  I am just curious about others' viewpoints and experiences with this tradition.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tel4him
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:26 AM
1 mom liked this

We do the birthday cake for Jesus!  My kids love it!  We'll invite friends over and sing "Happy Birthday."  We talk about things we can do to show Jesus' love for others' as our gift to Him on His birthday.

One family I heard about kept a box with a slot cut in the top under their tree all December and the whole family would drop their spare change or dollar bills into it.  At the Christmas Eve service at their church, the family would present the box to their pastor to give to a needy family.  I haven't done that, but I think it's a really neat idea.

Kristenn
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:05 AM
I've never heard of this. It's a great idea! I love it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Never heard of doing that, but I think it's a great idea.

PEEK05
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I think that's a great idea. What about reading a book about Jesus' birth (kid friendly of course) the night before Christmas or something?

Gweneveer
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I have never done it, but its a great idea!  

Maybe I will do that also this year!

KitschyGirl
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I don't celebrate Jesus's birthday and if I did I would probably do it in April.

.Angelica.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM

we don't.

.Angelica.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Why April? He was actually born around September and concieved around Christmas time.

Quoting KitschyGirl:

I don't celebrate Jesus's birthday and if I did I would probably do it in April.

babowes
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:04 PM
Love it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhwrn1
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:37 PM

We don't really celebrate the holiday in any sort of religious way since we are a mixed faith family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)