Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Problems!!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:49 AM
  • 5 Replies

So my son will be 3 in Feb. I am also expecting another boy in dec. My son will get mad bc he cant have something or do something or whatever and throw the toy he was playing with and then he will cry for it but when you go to give it back to him he throws it again. I have tried n\making him go get it himself but he quit getting it after a while. Also he likes to drop things behind the bed where it is very hard to get the things he puts back there out. He will do this when he is perfectly happy and also when he is mad then cries for whatever he puts back there. I have tried leaving said toy or what not there telling him this is why we do not do that but he doesn't understand. When he get mad about whatever he will bite himself usually on the fingers or on the arm. He has left bruises on his arms where he had bitten himself so hard. I really dread when this baby comes actually bc he is so hard to deal with now and I know it will only get worse. I really think he needs therapy lol but i'm not sure there is such a thing for a 2 yr old! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Kristenn
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:20 AM
There is therapy for every age. You need to do something about it. What kind of discipline is he receiving?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kell913
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:27 AM
Have you tried taking his toys away. I never had that problem , my youngest is 3 and when she misbehaves she gets her blanket taken away. Find something he loves and Everytime he does it take it away, works like a charm with all 3 of my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DavidsMom0218
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM
He gets spankings and when I tske his toys away it makes it 10 times worse. I've been telling him sometimes that if he keeps throwing his toys I will put them in the garbage and he seems to understand for a minute and then he forgets and throws his toys again.
bhwrn1
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:01 PM

If he throws a toy, take it away, and don't give it back. Do this each and every single time. He may end up with no toys, but it will eventually sink in.

marscella
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Agreed! Take the toys and DON'T give em back! If u end up taking all hi toys, well, then he ll get it. Give em back one at a time if he throws it, take it away immediately. My ds had went threw sonething similar,wouldnt listen to ANYTHING and would get mass amts of toys out allniver my house and refuse to pick them up. He'd cry saying it was my job or he was to tired blah blah blah. I had eventually had it one day! I removed every single toy from this house and Outside his bedroom included AMD locked them in the shed! I didn't leave him one toy! He was furious with me!!! However, I kept the toys away allday that first day, the next day, I gave him 1 toy he acted up, I took it. It took him awhile to get all his toys back but it worked.

When he hurts himself such ad biting himself, rimove him from the room make him stand in the corner with his nose in the corner each and everytime he does it. I spank my child but have found he hates the corner WAY WORSE than a spanking ;) my sons timeout does not begin until he stand there quietly with his nose in the corner. His 4.5 minutes of timeout can sometimes last 30 minute or so. Now all I do is give him one warning followed up with a reminder he will go to the corner next tine I have to tell him. It's. Tough battle but it will work. Same fir the biting. Remove him each and everytime he does it. My ds is afraid of shots so when he does something extreme even tho he's never bit himself, I say okay keep doing it we re gonna have to go to the ER or the dr and they r gonna give u a shot. Works like a charm. And if he cones To u crying it hurts where he bit himself, don't baby him tell him well, I'm sure it does there's nothing I can do for it since u but urself. I'd probably quit biting myself and then walk away. Let him cry out his fits they seek attention ding this and u just ignore it. He has cried Til I thought he was going to puke and usually not a tear is coming out of his eyes. If I'd talk to him during these fits he'd scream at me kick at me whatever so if I totally ignored him, he'd get pissed scream louder cuz I wasn't paying attention. Sometimes this would last a good 20 minutes of him screaming but he quit and was fine when he was done. I'd make him still sit for a few minutes after this massive tantrum to pull himself together and then he was fine ;) we havent had a tantrum in forever like that! Be consistent it'll pass .... Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)