Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Toddler is Driving me NUTS!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM
  • 9 Replies

I have to break some of his bad habits before the new baby comes in less than 5 weeks. 

He intentionally does things the instant I turn my back.

Also he does this thing (he picked it up from other kids) he screams... more like Screeching of death that rings in your ears, he does it ALL day (happy/sad/or mad, and it makes me crazy and makes the little one in my belly upset and he startes rolling and kicking my ribs =[ 

Help? I am open to suggestions. I have spanked him lightly on the bottom, I have yelled, I have called him over nicely. I have made him stop what he was donig to avert his attention and have him look me in the eyes while I tell him why its wrong. I TRIED time out chairs! He refuses to sit and I end up having to sit there for 2 minutes with him to make sure he stays!!!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momoftwins_2
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:54 AM
We count to 3 and if they don't listen by 3 then they go to their room until they can listen. It works well for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsAshleyLynch
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Should have added that, We do count to 3... and he counts with us?! the counting did work. until he started mocking us and counting back. LOL.

I usually give him the "Last chance" speech then Put him in his room where he SCREAMS as loud and screechingly as he can.

SMTCMMoore
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:02 PM
It may be a phase or he may know something is about to change and isn't sure how to handle emotions. Either way it drives you nuts and makes you wonder where did my sweet child go?!? I went throughout this with my 3 yr old when my 5 month old was born and through much of that pregnancy actually. I often had to wrap his arm around himself an pin him to the ground to prevent him from harming me or himself when he'd throw a fit. Just be consistent and remind him the behavior is inappropriate. Baby gate him in his room so the door can be open but tell him the screaming hurts your ears an you'll close the door if it continues. I personally believe in spanking for deliberate acts of defiance but that isn't for everyone. One creative approach that works on occasion is to have them scream and cry. Tell them they haveto keep screaming and crying for 10 mins, they can't stop. It sure makes me feel less stressed about the noise, and nothing is dun anymore if mom TELLs you to do it. Good luck, be firm and consistent, it gets better. My son now LOVES his baby sister, life has returned to blissful chaos!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMTCMMoore
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:04 PM
Fun, not dun, oops
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsAshleyLynch
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM

He has been doing this before we got pregnant. For about a year now =[

hargonagain
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:52 PM

My son started mocking me when I counted as well.  So, I stopped giving him 3 chances.  Now, I let him know what I want him to do and what the consequence will be if he doens't stop.  As soon as he fails to comply he immeditaly gets his consequence.  At first it seems really unfair since they are so little, but it is much easier and now I don't have to get stressed out waiting for 3 to roll around. So, if he is yelling and crying about something I tell him he needs to calm down and speak right.  If you can't speak right you are going to time out.  I give him about a minute to calm down and if he doesn't, then he goes straight to time out. 

When he was in preschool they taught them deep breathing excercises by saying , "smell the flower (pretend to smell a flower) and blow the bubbles (pretend to blow on a bubble wand).  Now, when I get upset and start yelling, he will tell me, "Mom!, smell the flower, blow the bubbles".  It seems unnatural not to give multiple chances, but all chances do is teach the kid that you don't really mean anything until after you say 3.

.Angelica.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:58 PM

when all else fails with my son and he's just not wanting to listen, I walk over and pick up a toy and take it away. He LOVES his hot wheel cars and even though he has close to 200 of them, losing just one is enough to make him listen. lol

babowes
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:02 PM
Be consisitent in your methods. I put mine on the front porch while I stayed inside. He hated being separted from me. I would say no screaming....you will go outside every time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhwrn1
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:36 PM

123 Magic

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)