Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

potty training and bottles

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:45 PM
  • 6 Replies

wat do i do wen my daughter really dont want nothing from the potty. i can not get her off bottle and she is 3 years old

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Gweneveer
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM

The bottle needs to GO mama!!  

At this age, you should be able to explain to her why she cant have it.  Even if its difficult, you arent doing her any favors by allowing her to continue having it.

I would take it away cold turkey, and reward her if she does well.  It may be hard, but its the best thing for her.

I would hold off on the PT until the bottle situation is cleared up.  Doing both at once is just expecting too much.  

Good luck mama, and stand your ground.  Once you decide to take it for good, DONT look back.  Or cave!  

.Angelica.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I agree with this. Good luck. It might be hard for a couple days but in the end it will be good!

Quoting Gweneveer:

The bottle needs to GO mama!!  

At this age, you should be able to explain to her why she cant have it.  Even if its difficult, you arent doing her any favors by allowing her to continue having it.

I would take it away cold turkey, and reward her if she does well.  It may be hard, but its the best thing for her.

I would hold off on the PT until the bottle situation is cleared up.  Doing both at once is just expecting too much.  

Good luck mama, and stand your ground.  Once you decide to take it for good, DONT look back.  Or cave!  

mamaK0911
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM
For sure TOSS the bottles today!! She can't have one if there isn't one to have. It's very bad for their teeth and jaw to still be on a bottle plus the choking hazard. Try explaining "you're a big girl and bottles are for babies so we got rid of your bottles so the babies can have them! Good job for helping the babies, big girl!"

As for potty training I also think 3 is too old for diapers, throw them away! As PP said wait until the bottle situation is cleared up and then explain in the same way. Let her pick out panties at the store then have her throw her diapers in the trash. Explain, "you're a big girl and diapers are for babies. You need to keep your big girl panties dry and let mommy or daddy (or grandma/grandpa) know if you have to go potty ok?" She'll have accidents at first just stay calm and tell her "yucky you are a big girl u need to keep your panties dry. Let me know if you need to go potty ok?" She'll eventually catch on. Peeing in a diaper feels a lot different then peeing down her leg! Pull ups for night only, they feel just like diapers so IMO they are horrible for daytime potty training. Look up the 3 day potty training method it's amazing! My LO was potty trained at 22 months with the help of that guide!
Good luck, just remember even though it's hard right now it'll only last a couple days and it'll be WAY worth it!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babowes
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:08 PM
Cold turkey...the next three days will be rough but she will evidentually drink from a cup and sleep again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhwrn1
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:38 PM
kjbugsmom1517
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:41 PM
Simply throw away the bottles. Have her help you. Tell her the garbage men will come take them to babies and she isn't a baby. Then work on the potty training.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)