• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting toddler in daycare soon...

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM
  • 4 Replies

I'm a 31 year old mom of two. I'm new to the group here. I have a 9 yr. old daughter in 4th grade & almost 3 yr. old daughter. I gave up my LPN career to stay home with the kids a few years ago, but have decided to go back to work part time. I will be working as an LPN in a local clinic.

I am nervous about trying to juggle being a wife & mommy, & work! My hubby & I just signed our toddler up for daycare & I'm kind of nervous about it. She has been a "colicky", fussy, child since birth! lol She is also a very picky eater & is a "little monster" without a nap everyday! lol I'm hoping her transition to daycare will be smooth. I'm also having some anxiety letting go of her though.

I just need the break. I was a SAHM with our first daughter until she was 4 years when she started pre-K. I have stayed home with our toddler as well until now. My hubby & I have little childcare help, and I feel like I'm going go bananas from the same routine everyday some days as a SAHM! lol I think my new job & the daycare will be good for my toddler & I both. I didn't send my oldest to daycare, just pre-K, so I'm just a little nervous. We took our toddler in to see the daycare for a few minutes today & she seemed to like it so far, but  isn't enrolled completely yet. Any other moms in the same or similar situation?

turkey dinnerThe season to be Thankful....

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KaYdEnSmOmMy191
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My ds started daycare when he was 13 months part time and full time when he was almost 2. He LOVES it there. He doesn't want to leave when I get there. However it is very important to find a daycare that is right for you and your child. My ds attends an in-home daycare that has an implemented pre school program as well as field trips, play groups and a librarian even comes out once a month. He just turned 3 and is learning how to read quite well. 

You'll know if your daycare is the right fit pretty quickly I'm sure. We tried one other before this one and it worked but wasn't right, he wasn't stimulated enough. Good luck MaMa, you just have to make it through the adjustment time :).

andreasmom02
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM
Thank you so much Kaydensmommy, that makes me feel much better! :) My friends & family keep telling me that as well. I'm just a "mother hen" type, & have a hard time letting go! lol It seems like one of the nicest daycares in our area, so I'm hoping for the best. I'll keep everyone posted. Glad your son is enjoying daycare so much. Do you work?
ekm0826
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi!  I am currently a SAHM to 2 kids.  When my oldest was 1 1/2, I decided to go back to work since we were buying a home.  It helps that I am a teacher, so I was hired as a teacher at a center that works with newborns to kindergarten age children.  For the first two weeks of the year, I cried each night and felt that I was doing something wrong.  Keep in mind, I was in the same building as her and could see her whenever I wished.  We both stayed at the center as she moved into Preschool, but left this past spring when I had my DS.  I chose not to go back for the time being because of financial reasons, by the time I paid the tuition for a preschool classroom and the infant room, I would be receiving almost no paycheck.    But it was the greatest experience for my DD...she really flourished at the school and her social skills are outstanding!  We are at home, and I am planning on enrolling her in our church preschool next fall (if she ever decides to be fully potty-trained!!).  There are many days that I feel like I am doing the same exact thing and that it is boring not only for me, but my daughter.  I try to engage her as much as possible in arts and crafts, outdoor time, and educational things, but I know she misses her friends and the social interactions.  You are doing a great thing for yourself and your child!!  But trust your instincts on the center, if you don't feel comfortable there are plenty of options to choose from!   Also, remember the transition might be difficult, but it is normally harder on us than the kids.  And hopefully your center is alright with calls during the day to check on your child.  I can't tell you how many parents would call at naptime to see how their kids were doing that day! Good luck!!

KaYdEnSmOmMy191
by on Nov. 14, 2011 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes one full time job, one part time job and I'm also a part time student. Kayden spends a lot of time at daycare and so it was vital that we found the right one but eventually I won't be working so much. i can't wait!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)