• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No hitting!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi everyone, new to this group-and to the Cafe!

I have a almost 23 month old and she's entering her early terrible two's-yikes! I was raised with spanking and have the urge to use this as natural method to teaching her right from wrong-but I don't feel very good about it. 

Not sure if it's because she's too young for this or because it's really not a good thing to do. Of course just using one swat on her training pants, no abusing going on! Wondering to rule out spanking all together or go ahead and use it as a discipline method. 

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PEEK05
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:21 PM

We don't spank.

heatherhall29
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:24 PM
I dont spank if you were to tell a child it is not ok to hit and then spank them to me it says you cant hit but I can. Ive always told my children hands are for hugging not hitting yeah my family members thinks im crazy for saying it but it works for my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

The thing I found that works best for tantrums is just ignoring them. And NEVER give in if the tantrum is over wanting something you said no to.

I am not against spanking but would only use it in extreme situations.

emarin77
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Instead of spanking my husband and I use time outs, stickers for good behavior, and when he behaves well for a week our son receives a bigger treat, like going to a bouncy house or baking cookies/brownies.

Gweneveer
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:50 PM

We dont spank unless its over something SERIOUS.  

If my dd is going to run into the street, I would spank her.  Just so she KNOWS the severity of how bad it really can be.  

I do NOT agree with spanking on a regular basis.  

bhwrn1
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Welcome!

I don't use spanking or any kind of hitting with my kids.

I suggest 123 Magic.

jbbrown80
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Thanks for all the input-having a strong willed child will be a challenge...but I feel up to it and think I feel good about using a mild spank for serious or dangerous situations. Everything else requires some creative parenting on our end : )

momoftwins_2
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:44 PM
We count to 3 and send them to their room if they dont listen
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)