Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

potty training

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:33 PM
  • 5 Replies
My 2.5 year old starting showing signs of being ready for the potty right before he turned 2. We were making progress when I landed a FT job and am now away from him 7AM-4PM Mon-Fri. Its been about 6 months and although sometimes at bathtime I can get him to go all progress has backtracked :( DH also works FT, typically 9AM-5PM, and until after 10PM on weekends. During that time DS is with my mom who doesn't feel she can potty train a boy because she had all girls so she doesn't even bother. I just don't know what to do!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
.Angelica.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I don't think there is much difference with potty training boys vs girls. I would ask your mom to at least try to help a little. My son started out sitting to go pee.

-JustMyOpinion-
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 2:09 AM

I have to respectfully disagree.  I have a girl and two boys and potty-training my daughter was so much easier than potty-training my son.  There are definitely differences in how they handle it, but obviously it can be done or we'd have a bunch of men walking around in diapers.  ;)

To the original poster, I think your mom needs to help out with the training.  If she is the primary caregiver during the times you are at work, she is going to have to assist while he is in her care.  She cannot expect for him to never be trained just because you are working and potty-training is not effective when you are only doing it part of the time.

I would also recommend taking a week off work and trying the diaper-free method for potty-training.  This worked very well for my kids.  If you can commit one full week to him, you may be able to get him almost completely trained without your mom having to do any of the major work.  Here are the details:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-in-three-days-or-less_10310078.bc

Quoting .Angelica.:

I don't think there is much difference with potty training boys vs girls. I would ask your mom to at least try to help a little. My son started out sitting to go pee.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you have imagined."  -Henry David Thoreau

Cookie.Kisses09
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:56 AM
Thank you for your reply :)
I have vacation time from the 18th until the 24th. I will dedicate that time to trying this method. I will also try to get my mom to help a little more.

Quoting -JustMyOpinion-:

I have to respectfully disagree.  I have a girl and two boys and potty-training my daughter was so much easier than potty-training my son.  There are definitely differences in how they handle it, but obviously it can be done or we'd have a bunch of men walking around in diapers.  ;)

To the original poster, I think your mom needs to help out with the training.  If she is the primary caregiver during the times you are at work, she is going to have to assist while he is in her care.  She cannot expect for him to never be trained just because you are working and potty-training is not effective when you are only doing it part of the time.

I would also recommend taking a week off work and trying the diaper-free method for potty-training.  This worked very well for my kids.  If you can commit one full week to him, you may be able to get him almost completely trained without your mom having to do any of the major work.  Here are the details:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-in-three-days-or-less_10310078.bc

Quoting .Angelica.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbbrown80
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Sounds like he is definetley capable of making progress and ready for the potty training which is good...but unfortunately it may just take longer if the one taking care of him can't assist. 

I am getting ready to return to work PT and am afraid my 23 month old who hasn't pooped her pants in almost two weeks will also backtrack on her progress. I think it's pretty common and unavoidable. We started her at 18 months and still have our struggles. Luckily my MIL will be watching her and has after some debate agreed to help me.  Good luck!

LML1
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I'm potty training too. Except I have a girl. My sister has 3 girls and 1 boy. She sat her boy on the potty just like the girls. He even learned how to lean forward when he pee'd. When he was around 3.5 he learned how to pee like daddy. Hope this helped.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)